UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7824  
Subject: Moving Date: 1/22/2005 6:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I'm planning a move to NYC in a few months. I would appreciate any tips, advice, things to expect, good neighborhoods, etc.

My two biggest priorities at this point are finding a place and a job.

Many TIA!

Print the post Back To Top
Author: DollarIQ Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4771 of 7824
Subject: Re: Moving Date: 1/22/2005 8:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Oh, so much to ask / say, so little time....! *grins*

First off, it may be helpful if you gave us more specifics about what you're looking for, what your background is, what your expectations may be? Personally, I'm wondering why you want to move to NY with no clue as to what you're going to do, or where you want to live. Would be curious about your personal interests or familiarity with New York. What region of the country are you coming from? Do you know anybody in New York? Why the timing of "in a few months?"

Otherwise, specific thoughts:
1) Right now, we're looking for a roommate... wanna move in? When the weather starts warming up, we're also looking for slave labor to help clean the backyard and garden it.

2) If you want an(other) off-the-wall suggestion, you can peruse:
http://newyork.craigslist.org
to get an idea of various living/apartment situations, costs, etc. Also, for jobs in general.

3) Jobs, etc.: Have no idea what type of work, etc., you're looking for, willing to do, etc. If you're interested, you might want to peruse the "Ask the Headhunter" board here at:
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?bid=100142

Right now, I have a batch of "instant" chili on the stove, and an hour before it's done, I'm going to make a batch of skillet cornbread; I have way too much for just me and you're welcomed to share. Please bring an appetite... beer is optional. *grins*

$IQ
Having a field day with our "blizzard" today which is falling short of expectations, but still fun!

Author: scaryblondechick Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4773 of 7824
Subject: Re: Moving Date: 1/22/2005 10:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
I would appreciate any tips, advice, things to expect, good neighborhoods, etc.

1. For an apartment, try Queens. From LIC or Astoria, you will spend no more time in the subway to midtown or Wall St. than you would from the Upper West Side, and the rent will be about half what you would pay there. Ditto New Jersey -- any of the towns that are on the PATH line. If you still can't afford it, or find a roommate, try Staten Island or Long Island ... but be prepared for an hour-long commute (each way).

2. For a job, look in the Sunday New York Times. For an apartment, the Sunday Daily News or Newsday (or, if it comes to that, the Staten Island Advance). For the rest of the time, Time Out or the Village Voice. The Times you can subscribe to; for the rest, find a friendly native who might be willing to mail you a weekly packet.

3. Don't fall asleep on the subway.

scary

Author: whafa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4774 of 7824
Subject: Re: Moving Date: 1/23/2005 12:34 AM
Personally, I'm wondering why you want to move to NY with no clue as to what you're going to do, or where you want to live. Would be curious about your personal interests or familiarity with New York. What region of the country are you coming from? Do you know anybody in New York? Why the timing of "in a few months?"

Every time I say to someone I'm moving to NYC, they ask, "why?" I just love it there. It boils down to the people. I want to move there until I don't love it anymore, then I'll come back to CA. I have some contacts there already -- my sister lives there and I have a few other friends. I currently live near San Francisco and want a change of scenery, and I don't have a lot tying me down right now. I was thinking about Vancouver but I visited my sis in NY last September and fell in love with it all. I figured I'd move there in May.

I want to live in Manhattan somewhere and I don't particularly care what I do (my background is in computers).

I'll start monitoring craigslist. Thanks! The chili will have to wait until next winter.

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4777 of 7824
Subject: Re: Moving Date: 1/23/2005 11:00 AM
and I don't particularly care what I do (my background is in computers).

Well, I'm sure you know that lots of IT folks are out of jobs here in NYC as many functions have been outsourced to India, among other places.

As far as not caring what you do, you might look at the temp job ads in the Sunday New York Times and see if there is anything that interests you (and for which you are qualified).

Living in Manhattan is expensive - unless you're willing to share with 2 or 3 other folks. Not only is the rent expensive but so are the day-to-day living expenses. (Not sure where you are in CA - the price differential might not be substantially different.)

Good luck!

Christina

Author: berber31 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4780 of 7824
Subject: Re: Moving Date: 1/23/2005 5:46 PM
Recommendations: 1
NYC gets an unfair reputation as being expensive. You can get an apartment in Brooklyn or Queens for well under a 1000 bucks.

You lose the car, so one doesn't have that montly car payment or the cost of filling it up. Every thing is close so even if you have to take a cab it should be outragious, unless you are going to the airport.

Craigslist is a great spot to find a place and maybe a job. There are a bunch ot temp agencies that specialize in IT.

I think everyone should live in NYC for a year. I can't see myself ever leaving.

Good Luck

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4781 of 7824
Subject: Re: Moving Date: 1/23/2005 6:47 PM
Recommendations: 2
NYC gets an unfair reputation as being expensive. You can get an apartment in Brooklyn or Queens for well under a 1000 bucks.

Check my post. I said "living in Manhattan is expensive". If you find an apartment in Manhattan (as opposed to Brooklyn or Queens or even better, Staten Island) for under $1,000, I doubt if you would want to live there.

Christina

Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4802 of 7824
Subject: Re: Moving Date: 1/26/2005 11:45 AM
I would appreciate any tips, advice, things to expect, good neighborhoods, etc.

Just to give you an idea of what "good neighborhood" costs in Manahattan, my co-worker lives on East 51st Street. The East 50's and East 60's are considered the "best" area to live in Manhattan. He, his wife, and 2 children live in a small 1 bedroom apartment for which they pay $4000/month rent.

Of course you could buy if you wanted to, $500,000 and up for a 1 bedroom in the East 50's.

Good luck!

2old

Author: ProbTrader Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4811 of 7824
Subject: Re: Moving Date: 1/26/2005 5:10 PM
I said "living in Manhattan is expensive". If you find an apartment in Manhattan (as opposed to Brooklyn or Queens or even better, Staten Island) for under $1,000, I doubt if you would want to live there.

There are still some areas in Hell's Kitchen and the East Village that are more reasonable but yes, I would say you'll have to consider at least $1,000 for a decent Studio.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement