UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 36929  
Subject: Moving! Date: 9/4/2012 6:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hiya, I just found this board :) Is there a handy thread about organizing a move? If not, I'll add some specifics and frame a question, but if so could I just get a link please? Thanks,

Print the post Back To Top
Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35883 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/4/2012 7:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
The search feature surprisingly brought up several threads here about moving:
http://boards.fool.com/search/solr.aspx?q=moving&datasou...
But I admit I didn't read any to see if they're good.

My thoughts, FWIW:
- Get a "Moving checklist" from the post office. It has a good list of the stuff you need to remember to do, including updating utilities and such with your new address.
- Declutter. The less stuff you have to move, the better. Then do it again. You'll still find more stuff to get rid of.
- Use colored box-tape and/or colored markers. Designate a color for each room plus one for the high priority stuff. Tape is easier than markers, but get a few rolls of each. Otherwise you know you'll lose the blue roll somewhere. (You can use the ones you were going to send me for Christmas.)
- Clothes pack and unpack more quickly on hangers... though they can take up more space that way. If you've got the room in your moving vehicle, it's worth it. I like to put a hole in the bottom of a kitchen trash bag and poke the hanger tops through that, and put a twist tie to hold the tops all together. Then tie the bottom of the bag under all the clothes. They're all nicely protected, and practically hang themselves right back into the closet.
- The sooner you start packing, the better... but then ask yourself: if I can pack this a month before the move because I won't need it, will I *ever* need it?
- Pack a "vacation" suitcase: everything you need to survive for one week even if nothing else gets unpacked when you get there. Clothes, bathroom kit, medication/contacts, book/music/gameboy/whatev.
- Don't kill yourself getting it all packed. Enlist all the help you possible can... and know that half of everyone will flake.
- Congratulations on your move. I hope it's for good reasons and into a better place.
- No, I won't help you move. ;-) I am weak as a kitten, drive a 2-seat hatchback, and am smack in the middle of planning a wedding without killing anyone before it's over. But seriously (yes, really) if I weren't doing the wedding I'd drive down and help.

Good luck,
Frydaze1

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35884 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/4/2012 8:03 PM
Thanks Frydaze1..those are all great suggestions!

I guess I am a little lost because I have 500sqft in my current place and there really is no place to put a pile or two of boxes. So I will really have to pack and load each box as I go. I can probably figure it out, but the thought is daunting!

:)

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35885 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/4/2012 9:39 PM
Recommendations: 4
I'm trying to type from my phone and it's acting all funny so I'm going to do this on voice to text and whatever comes out comes out. your dresser is already basically packed and your bedclothes can be thrown into a trash bag at the last minute on moving day can you tell I'm fond of packing in trash bags so basically that's your whole bedroom arty done . if you have a dining room table and chairs you can either stack the chairs in the corner and shove the table into another corner and try to clear up some room or stack the chairs on top of the table to gain some room or turn the table upside down and stack the chairs on top of it . if you have a Sopa you might have room behind it or you can put it on end and put it up against the wall to clear some living room space. If I recall correctly from my form moves from spaces as large as yours my biggest problems Where the kitchen and the living room. That's where I attended to accumulate all of my stuff. The good news is that most kitchen stuff can be packed early and lived without. And packing in the living room and it is at least the most comfortable place. Just tackle it all in very small steps you'll get there. Apologies for the absolutely terrible formatting and good luck.

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35886 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 10:59 AM
Recommendations: 2
A few questions.

1. How far are you moving?
2. Are you moving from a house or an apartment?
3. Do you have any highly fragile items or antiques?

I ask because the way you pack to move when you might be waiting a week or more to see your stuff is different from when you are moving across town. Also if you have a yard/driveway available you can rent a moving pod and start loading it.

Lara Amber

Military Brat & Moving Master

Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35887 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 11:08 AM
Recommendations: 7
Don't kill yourself getting it all packed. Enlist all the help you possible can... and know that half of everyone will flake.

It's okay to ask friends to help you pack. At a certain age DON'T ask your friends to help you move. When everyone is 21 and most of your furniture was originally flat-pack, sure no problem. But once everyone is 35 and you own real furniture, just stop. People have bad backs, people have bad knees, people have kids, and really it's not fair to say "oh yeah, you come move my heavy dresser and widescreen TV and give up your Saturday and I'll give you beer and pizza". They also didn't buy a truck to run a free moving service. Hire professional movers.

We have friends in their 40-50s who still flit from apartment to apartment who haven't seem to gotten this memo. The rest of us are settled in homes with kids and won't be tapping them to return the favor, ever, yet every couple a years the call goes out and the guilt trip begins.

Lara Amber

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35888 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 4:09 PM
a friend might help you move
a good friend will help you move a body.

Call me when you need a good friend...

peace & details on the move?
t

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35889 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 6:06 PM
I am hopefully moving close by (scrambling to find a decent place w/2 weeks notice). Moving from a condo w/no outside space available to me, but I could possibly get a small pod and put it in my parking spot...that's a great suggestion.

I have a lot of nice framed art, one of which is 'antique' (original reefer madness anti-pot type poster, not sure if 1920's is antique?). Vases and various & sundry other small items. A small fortune's worth of expensive scented oils. Nothing that is both large and fragile, though!

6, worst mover ever.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35890 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 6:08 PM
Recommendations: 1
It's okay to ask friends to help you pack. At a certain age DON'T ask your friends to help you move. When everyone is 21 and most of your furniture was originally flat-pack, sure no problem. But once everyone is 35 and you own real furniture, just stop. People have bad backs, people have bad knees, people have kids, and really it's not fair to say "oh yeah, you come move my heavy dresser and widescreen TV and give up your Saturday and I'll give you beer and pizza". They also didn't buy a truck to run a free moving service. Hire professional movers.

Plan A is to find a place in the next few days and have some overlap time, OR rent my condo back from the buyers for a month, so I can do small daily trips until I get to the big stuff. Then hire movers for that.

Plan B may have to be rent a pod, fill it up then hire movers for furniture and unloading the pod?

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35891 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 6:08 PM
Recommendations: 3
Call me when you need a good friend...

You may need to come move my body away from the bar when this is all over and done with ;)

Author: hheuer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35892 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 6:23 PM
Quite honestly, I'd suggest getting a few quotes from movers, including and excluding packing.

Our last two moves, which involved a surprising (to me) amount of stuff, were both well under the estimates given us by the movers. And it was *AMAZING*. Once all the stuff was in the new place, we still had energy to unpack. The same day :)

Our last move cost about $600 -- within the city, a 1-day move, but a very full 2bdrm apartment. When you add up time, wear-and-tear, and all the expenses of truck (and/or pod) rental, gas, etc., it was well worth it.

We've never had movers back for us, but i'm told that can be well worth it too. Anyway, I'd say -- get quotes.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35893 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 6:26 PM
Our last two moves, which involved a surprising (to me) amount of stuff, were both well under the estimates given us by the movers. And it was *AMAZING*. Once all the stuff was in the new place, we still had energy to unpack. The same day :)

Our last move cost about $600 -- within the city, a 1-day move, but a very full 2bdrm apartment. When you add up time, wear-and-tear, and all the expenses of truck (and/or pod) rental, gas, etc., it was well worth it.

Holy crap, that included packing??? I really have no idea what movers cost, so I put away $1500 just for that.

If that gets me packed as well, I'ma OWE YOU for this tip! :)

Author: hheuer Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35894 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 6:55 PM
It included partial packing in our case, and it was a few years ago. Of course, it's also in an expensive neck of the woods, so that may balance out ;) But yeah, definitely get the quotes!

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35895 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/5/2012 7:38 PM
$500 barely covers the cost of renting the truck and dolly, and buying gas. And lunch for all your friends. I'd happily pay someone $500 to move my stuff. And I'd pay another grand to not pack it all, even if I had to eat ramen for a year to pay for it.

Frydaze1 <--- I *hate* moving

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35896 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/6/2012 2:53 PM
Quite honestly, I'd suggest getting a few quotes from movers, including and excluding packing.

I'd second that suggestion. Also be wary of people who quote you by the box or won't provide a written quote. The last time I moved locally, I checked out a lot of companies and found nonlinear feedback about people who would load up the truck and then claim the price was higher before they would unload. So see if you can find a company that friends/coworkers have used.

I used Two Men and a Truck - which is a franchise that may have a different owner for each location in town. I liked that they charged by the hour, so if I was done with the big stuff @ 6 hours then they would cut off. We packed ourselves and they loaded and unloaded. I reused boxes from my last (corporate) move. I did buy some specialty boxes from UHaul to pack wines glasses and small fragile items (like x-mas ornaments). I ended up just keeping them for good storage (they have sturdy partitions). These are linked below:

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/Boxes/Kitchen-moving-box...

Good luck

Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35897 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/6/2012 2:59 PM
nonlinear feedback

I meant "online feedback" although after reading about some of the situations the feedback was distinctly nonlinear. :)

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35898 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/6/2012 5:16 PM
The last time I moved locally, I checked out a lot of companies and found nonlinear feedback about people who would load up the truck and then claim the price was higher before they would unload.

All the least linear feedback is online ;)

I just signed a lease :) And since it's on floor 3 w/no elevator, I'm soooo getting movers. I spent some time looking at reviews on Yelp, and you can tell that customers clearly prefer those companies who charge hourly.

Thanks!!!

Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35899 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/6/2012 5:37 PM
I just signed a lease :)

Congrats!

And since it's on floor 3 w/no elevator, I'm soooo getting movers.

No doubt. ::: shudder :::

Frydaze1

Author: blue3dragon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35900 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/6/2012 7:51 PM
Late to the party but getting movers was the BEST thing I did when I bought my house. I was working nightshift at the time & they met me in the morning after i got home. The move went so smoothly i could have cried. Unpacking was a breeze since they put everything where i wanted it (all my boxes were labeled with room). Loved the company so much that my mom used them a month later when she moved.

Michele

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35901 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/6/2012 9:34 PM
Frydaze1 <--- I *hate* moving

Me too. Every time I move, I swear that I forget how much stuff I have by a factor of 100!

Author: tconi Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35902 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/7/2012 2:29 AM
I think I am moving in 5-6 years.
the getting rid of stuff is happening NOW with that goal in mind...

peace & sloooow
t

requires a deadline of some sort to accomplish anything

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35903 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/7/2012 10:23 AM
I have 3 companies that I'm looking at to do the move..2 have gotten back to me and the third one is the one friends recommended :)

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35905 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/7/2012 6:10 PM
I think I am moving in 5-6 years.
the getting rid of stuff is happening NOW with that goal in mind...

peace & sloooow
t

requires a deadline of some sort to accomplish anything

Ditto. Only our deadline is more like 1.5 years. Our building is getting torn down.

Luckily, the apartment complex owners are paying for the move. But I'm still decluttering now so I won't be moving stuff we don't want to keep.

And if the price the owners are paying does not include packing, I'll pay for the packing myself.

MOI
<also hates moving>

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35910 of 36929
Subject: Re: Moving! Date: 9/11/2012 9:16 AM
I paid $400 in San Francisco - but that was a local move, 2 guys and a truck, and I did the packing.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement