UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: nomoreplastic Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308686  
Subject: Moving along with baby steps Date: 12/22/2007 5:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 22
Just wanted to put up a quick update as to our progress.

Decided to try using Mvelopes to help with the budgeting. I sure love that program! I've got it all powered up and having everything right in front of me in real time is invaluable. I even got DH to sit down with me and go over the situation, which was no small feat. I think he is really beginning to understand in realtime. I've come to find out that he's pretty much given up on the problems being solved, which is part of his apathy. I think seeing everything in one place and doing the envelope funding online with me somehow clicked in his head. We're going to give it a 200% effort together. We've been tracking every penny spent and we're working on a spending plan that makes sense.

We've sold a few things and made a bit of OT to keep up with the bills for December and kept the holidays under control. I have also secured a loan to use as a balance transfer as well as for cathcing up on anything else that's behind from a family member, the amount will be determined by what our needs are, right now I'm thinking around $6000. We will not be able to do this until Jan 1, so we're just marking time until then.

I negotiated a payment plan with the mortgage bank, so we are okay until then. I can pay that plan over 6 months, or catch up in Jan; I'm planning on catching up all at once in January.

We will also pay down the largest CCs to a point where we will not incur over limit fees every month (a big part of the problem). Then we'll start trying to get more income to put towards paying it off with a snowball.

I will still be looking for extra income, unfortunately I've spent more time taking care of my mom than usual since she's not doing real well, as well as time driving DD16 to new job.

I informed my employer that I would no longer tolerate my paychecks being late; they have agreed to a direct deposit system. We'll see what happens in January.

I cancelled several features on our cell phones (savings $30/month), downgraded the satellite (savings $15/month), downgraded house phone (savings $20/month). DD16 will start paying her portion of cell phones ($20/month). So we're starting to make progress there. I would like to cancel the house phone altogether, but DH needs a landline for work. Will continue to make cuts where possible on telecom, starting to look at the other utilites. Baby steps.

Oh, and the best thing - DD16 was awarded $1000 scholarship for expenses for a certificate program she is stating in February. Already got the check! Her total out of pocket costs for program will be about $90, which she has already earned!

Thanks to all on this board for your inspiration and encouragement. I hope that this will be the time that I beat this 21 year old debt/money management problems. I read everything here and feel like success is finally within my reach.

NMP
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 265565 of 308686
Subject: Re: Moving along with baby steps Date: 12/22/2007 6:48 PM
Recommendations: 0
Update looks good.

You've taken steps to get through December.
Good job in asking for the direct deposit of your pay.
And great to hear of the combined efforts of the whole family.

Think you've done a great job in setting your goals:

get and stay current with mortgage

reduce credit card debt to get rid of over limit fees

YeilB

Author: shirehobbit Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 265568 of 308686
Subject: Re: Moving along with baby steps Date: 12/22/2007 10:22 PM
NMP, what a great update. You and your DH should be very proud of yourselves.

>> as well as time driving DD16 to new job.

Can DD16 take public transit on some days? Or is transit in your area as crappy as the system in my city?

Cheers,

Shire

Author: nomoreplastic Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 265569 of 308686
Subject: Re: Moving along with baby steps Date: 12/22/2007 11:02 PM
Can DD16 take public transit on some days? Or is transit in your area as crappy as the system in my city?

Unfortunately, there's no direct public transport and the jobs about 15 miles away. The upside is that several of her friends work in the same area, so she is able to bum a ride when their schedules all mesh, even if she has to wait around a bit. It's hit or miss. She deals with returning favors by paying them in cash/coffee/crocheted scarves. Whatever works!

NMP

Author: EarlyToRise Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 265573 of 308686
Subject: Re: Moving along with baby steps Date: 12/23/2007 10:19 AM
Recommendations: 2
We're going to give it a 200% effort together. We've been tracking every penny spent and we're working on a spending plan that makes sense.

This is great progress in the short time since the original "Such a Mess I've Made..." post! Congratulations on getting such traction.

Without concerted involvement from both spouses, financial success is incredibly difficult. I recommend setting up a time to review your progress as often as necessary (daily/weekly initially, then less frequently as appropriate) and you'll be able to really work as a team.

Keep posting; it's good therapy!

ETR

Author: WendyBG Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 265578 of 308686
Subject: Re: Moving along with baby steps Date: 12/23/2007 1:59 PM
<Unfortunately, there's no direct public transport and the jobs about 15 miles away. The upside is that several of her friends work in the same area, so she is able to bum a ride when their schedules all mesh, even if she has to wait around a bit. It's hit or miss. She deals with returning favors by paying them in cash/coffee/crocheted scarves. Whatever works!>

I had the same issue in graduate school.

1. I rode my bike. I had great legs, in those days!

2. When I needed rides (for example, a big grocery shopping trip, too bulky to carry on the bike), I would invite the car-owner over for a home-cooked dinner.

Wendy

Author: JustGeorge Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 265620 of 308686
Subject: Re: Moving along with baby steps Date: 12/25/2007 1:19 PM
Great job on getting things in order. Update us time to time and when you feel like your losing traction or just need to vent come here and we will be happy to help.

I also thought of canceling our home phone but decided to cut back on our cell phone bill and save about 20 bucks a month.

--George

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement