Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, all.

Got what's probably a pretty dumb question, but it's the first time I've had to consider it:

How do you handle state income taxes when you move from one state to another mid-year?

Specifically, we moved house from Virginia to Indiana at the end of October 2008 -- so were resident in VA for 10 months of the year, then two more in IN. Our employers remained the same throughout the year.

Is it correct that we must file separate income tax declarations in both states? And how do we divvy up the income that is being taxed between the two states' tax authorities?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.