UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65  
Subject: Moving Boxes? Date: 3/12/2009 4:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I'm anticipating a move in the next few months, but I don't know when right now. But, I have some time on my hands, since I'm unemployed, so I thought I'd get a head start and start packing. There are some things I can live without for a while.

Is there a good place to get moving boxes and packing supplies? A couple of self-storage places say they have moving supplies, but I go in and all they have are a few dusty boxes shoved in the back of their office and some dirty looking sheets of packing paper. The same with the local U-Haul, which is small and doesn't seem to carry much in the way of boxes. I'm not sure where to look - I'm nervous about going to a moving company because I'm afraid that once they get my name, they'll start calling me constantly, wanting me to use them for my move. (I got a quote from a moving company once and the only way I got them to stop calling me 4 times a week was to change my phone number.) I've even seen some places that sell boxes online, but that seems like it must be expensive.

I don't want to spend too much (being unemployed and broke) but I don't want to go too cheap and end up with stuff breaking.

Karen
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Rael137 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47 of 65
Subject: Re: Moving Boxes? Date: 3/12/2009 5:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have gotten rid of many moving boxes thru ads on Craig's List -- for free. People usually come pick them up within an hour of my post. I have also just put things out on the curb but that usually takes longer to go.

I've seen lots of ads on my local Craig's List for boxes and packing paper. I only give out used packing paper that is clean (wrapped around dishes for example) and hasn't been sitting in a pile gathering dust and webs, etc. So maybe be careful about the used packing paper.

There were a dozen U-Haul locations around the small town I lived before the last move -- some were just a corner in a used car lot office and some were full-service (all the box sizes/types). Maybe you could call around to find a big one. I went to the former (used car lot) first and got ripped off basically (dish pack insert sold without the box) but went to it because it was closest to me. Live and learn. : \

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48 of 65
Subject: Re: Moving Boxes? Date: 3/12/2009 5:15 PM
You could join your local freecycle and post a request for moving boxes.

www.freecycle.org

It's a great way to get rid of things you no longer want and cannot or do not want to sell.

Author: zathrus1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49 of 65
Subject: Re: Moving Boxes? Date: 3/15/2009 10:21 PM
Is there a good place to get moving boxes and packing supplies?

The answers you got already from the other folks are all good ideas.
One thing I would add - call one of your local moving companies and ask them how much they charge for boxes. Most of them will sell them to you at reasonable prices, especially now when thing are tight financially. Also - don't be afraid to try and bargain with them a bit. Typically companies make at least a 100% markup on boxes. Sometimes much more than that, so there is definitely wiggle room, especially of you can pick them up instead of having them delivered.

I also recall that there was a place online that ships moving boxes right to your door. I don't recall the name right now, but if you google moving boxes you should be able to find them pretty quickly...

Best Wishes
Gary

Author: coolnewbie One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 55 of 65
Subject: Re: Moving Boxes? Date: 4/7/2009 10:20 PM
Perhaps you are referring to Uline? They have an assortment of boxes available and usually ship them to you once you purchase online.

BTW, thanks for starting this board Gary. I am getting ready to move in about 3 weeks time and all your tips have been very beneficial so far!!

Cheers!

Author: toberead Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 56 of 65
Subject: Re: Moving Boxes? Date: 4/7/2009 10:27 PM
Recommendations: 1
Perhaps you are referring to Uline? They have an assortment of boxes available and usually ship them to you once you purchase online.

I ended up ordering from uboxes, which is a similar site that sells boxes online. I realized that I'd ordered from them before on eBay - they also sell stuff like bubble wrap and padded envelopes. Since I'd had a good experience with them before, I thought they'd be a good place to order boxes.

I found some local places that sell boxes, but I ran into a problem with my car - it's too small! It was fine for the small boxes, but it's hard to fit a stack of large boxes into a Toyota Corolla, even when the boxes are flattened out. So ordering boxes online seemed like a better option, although I'll probably pick up a few specialty boxes locally once I've packed the ones I ordered and figure out what else I need.

Karen

Author: FoolBoxx Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59 of 65
Subject: Re: Moving Boxes? Date: 6/1/2009 3:59 PM
Costco online sells boxes. I'm not sure if they sell individual boxes, but I know they sell a moving kit (boxes in assorted sizes, tape, bubble wrap, etc...) They ship directly to your door. I have also seen the kits in the stores (warehouses) for a lower cash and carry price.

FoolBoxx

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement