Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: caesar222 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120819  
Subject: Moving Expense Deduction Question Date: 12/26/2000 5:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My wife has taken a new job and we will be moving from Wisconsin to New York. Her employer is in NY but through the magic of telecommuting I will be keeping my current job with my employer in WI. My question is will me keeping my job in Wisconsin and getting paid by a Wisconsin company put any damper on deducting our moving expenses to New York?

With all the moving & working at home deductions I will have a pro do my taxes for me but out of curiosity, which state will I be paying my state income taxes to?

Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: goodeeds Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43424 of 120819
Subject: Re: Moving Expense Deduction Question Date: 12/26/2000 8:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
This same situation was discussed a few weeks ago with the states in question being IL and AR, I think. You might want to look back through the posts to find this topic.

IIRC, since you are earning income in WI, you will be paying income taxes to WI. Some states have tax reciprocity rules, usually states bordering each other. I doubt NY and WI have this, but you never know.

Dan

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43438 of 120819
Subject: Re: Moving Expense Deduction Question Date: 12/27/2000 1:44 AM
My wife has taken a new job and we will be moving from Wisconsin to New York. Her employer is in NY but through the magic of telecommuting I will be keeping my current job with my employer in WI. My question is will me keeping my job in Wisconsin and getting paid by a Wisconsin company put any damper on deducting our moving expenses to New York?

There's no problem with the moving expenses. As long as one member of the household meets the tests, the allowable expenses of moving the entire household are deductible.

With all the moving & working at home deductions I will have a pro do my taxes for me but out of curiosity, which state will I be paying my state income taxes to?

You will definitely be paying to your state of residence, NY. I can't speak to WI laws, but I telecommute to the Fool, which is headquartered in VA, and pay only KS income tax. Well, Federal too, but you already knew that.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement