Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have recently relocated and my employer picked up the moving expenses. My employer has grossed up the moving cost to cover FICA and taxes (fixed 28%) and are adding these expenses to my income. In addition to this, since the move was at the end of the year, the expense occured in 1998 and the payout occures in 1999.

How should these moving expenses be handled?
Should and can I pull in the income to a previous year where I probably have lower income and more write-offs?
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.