Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi - We have an interesting situation on our hands.

My husband is about to start a job. However, for this calendar/tax year, with all of our deductions (married jointly, plus 5 exemptions, plus child tax credit), we literally have worked it out that we have ZERO federal tax obligation for 2000 (just got here from Australia, haven't worked in US until now).

However, on top of the regular deductions, we have a HUGE moving expense deduction that we want to take, howeve I can't seem to find a loophole to take the deduction in 2001 instead of for 2000. There's nothing left for us to deduct for 2000, and don't want to lose that deduction altogether!

Any ideas on this? Also, we have new house related costs that we need to deduct (points, interest), but I've heard that this sort of deduction can be carried over to the next year.

So -- any ideas??

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.