Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ejcg Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Moving from Mutual to Index Date: 12/6/1999 6:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'd like to move money from a mutual fund to an index fund. I'm not too excited about paying the long term capital gains taxes when I take the money out of the mutual fund - the money's been in there for about 10 years. Is there a smart way to make this change?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: JAFO31 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22381 of 121061
Subject: Re: Moving from Mutual to Index Date: 12/6/1999 7:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
ejcg: "I'd like to move money from a mutual fund to an index fund. I'm not too excited about paying the long term capital gains taxes when I take the money out of the mutual fund - the money's been in there for about 10 years. Is there a smart way to make this change?"

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most index funds are in fact mutual funds.

The good news (such as it is), is that your basis in your existing mutual fund has been increasing with each reinvested dividend and capital gain over the years (assuming that you have been reinvesting all distributions).

Hope this helps. Regards, JAFO

PS - I have assumed that you are discussing a taxable account because you mentioned taxes and did not reference an IRA, 401-k or other tax benefitted account.

Author: Kidsalami Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22382 of 121061
Subject: Re: Moving from Mutual to Index Date: 12/6/1999 7:35 PM
No theres not, but you can try to sell them in a year when you haven't had alot of income from other sources. Or if you have a year(example:say 1997 if you were out of work) you can ammend the last five years and average them together. or sell some this year and some the next.

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22395 of 121061
Subject: Re: Moving from Mutual to Index Date: 12/6/1999 9:00 PM
<< No theres not, but you can try to sell them in a year when you haven't had alot of income from other sources. Or if you have a year(example:say 1997 if you were out of work) you can ammend the last five years and average them together. or sell some this year and some the next. >>

I'm not aware of any averaging available for straight mutual fund capital gains in a taxable account, which is what the original post addressed. Also, you can't amend returns to reflect transactions that didn't take place during the period in question.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

Author: elibortPrairiela One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 22528 of 121061
Subject: Re: Moving from Mutual to Index Date: 12/8/1999 10:28 AM
The firs poster's response was the best one --- check your facts before you fret about the capital gains tax. Your basis has been increasing year by year because of the distributions that have been credited to your account (and included in your income). You do not have as much of a tax problem as you think.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement