UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: chopsueycp Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4657  
Subject: Moving into New Construction - Tips? Date: 5/8/2012 1:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello all,

This board doesn't look too busy, but I'm going to ask anyway, just in case anyone is out there.

My fiancee and I are moving into a brand new townhouse, and we get to pick alllll the new fun little colors and textures and everything else.

Here are the basics:
- cherry hardwood floors on the first floor
- a fireplace with a white mantle
- crown molding all around

Kitchen:
- granite countertops
- stainless steel
- cherry wood cabinets

Where I'm getting hung up is in two places:

- what color to go with for the granite countertops - there's a grey look, and there's a sort of beige, brownish choice. Both have that granite "design" to them. What do you think would go better with the cabinets and the appliances... something gray or something light brown, with other shades of brown in it? The gray kind of brings out the cabinets, while the brown would sort of flow well with it. Tough choice!

- the color of the carpet everywhere else in the house.. a lighter shade of brown, or a mid-shade? I'm thinking lighter....

Do any of you have general tips on all of this, or specific advice for my questions?

Do you of another, more active board where I could pose my question?

Much thanks,
CP
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SRenaeP Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4642 of 4657
Subject: Re: Moving into New Construction - Tips? Date: 5/8/2012 2:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
- what color to go with for the granite countertops - there's a grey look, and there's a sort of beige, brownish choice. Both have that granite "design" to them. What do you think would go better with the cabinets and the appliances... something gray or something light brown, with other shades of brown in it? The gray kind of brings out the cabinets, while the brown would sort of flow well with it. Tough choice!

I would go with gray just because beige/brown just seems too blah since everything else is in the same color family. We have black granite in our kitchen with cherry cabinets. I wouldn't have thought I liked it but I do because it is a nice contrast to everything else (cabinets, floors, walls, tile) being earth-tone.

- the color of the carpet everywhere else in the house.. a lighter shade of brown, or a mid-shade? I'm thinking lighter....

I would go lighter just to avoid the blah factor. We have cherry hardwood on most of the main level with light tan berber in the living room and bedroom. It's still in the same color family (earth-tone) but provides somewhat of a contrast to the dark wood in the adjacent rooms.

-Steph

Author: sassygirl6 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4643 of 4657
Subject: Re: Moving into New Construction - Tips? Date: 5/8/2012 3:24 PM
Recommendations: 1

Having lived with both lighter and mid-shade, the mid-shade will last you much longer because it will hide stains much, much, much better.

My homes with carpet did not have kids, but did have a pet cat who sometimes tracked in mud and dirt, and of course shed cat fur in the spring and summer. Of course, I never personally tracked in any dirt, dust or mud. Haha.

FWIW,

Sassy

Author: SRenaeP Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4644 of 4657
Subject: Re: Moving into New Construction - Tips? Date: 5/8/2012 3:39 PM
Having lived with both lighter and mid-shade, the mid-shade will last you much longer because it will hide stains much, much, much better.

My homes with carpet did not have kids, but did have a pet cat who sometimes tracked in mud and dirt, and of course shed cat fur in the spring and summer. Of course, I never personally tracked in any dirt, dust or mud. Haha.

FWIW,

Sassy

That's a very good point. We don't have kids or pets and enter the house through non-carpeted areas. All dining/drinking is done in non-carpeted areas. Not to mention, I don't wear shoes in the house (not because of cleanliness, I just hate wearing shoes).

-Steph

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4645 of 4657
Subject: Re: Moving into New Construction - Tips? Date: 5/9/2012 4:52 AM
I regret not having darker carpet in our house and after 6 years am thinking of replacing it already. It just shows too much dirt.

We have dark cherry cabinets with grey granite with maroon swirls - it looks pretty good.

Author: BeccaCon08 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4649 of 4657
Subject: Re: Moving into New Construction - Tips? Date: 3/23/2013 8:41 PM
There are so many other items to consider when selecting the right color choices.

A lot of natural light in the room? or limited light?
What style are you comfortable with? What do you want to avoid?

If you are not sure, I tell my clients to start with this task.
It's better to do this and then hire a professional Interior Designer to assist. It's hard for anyone to guess at what you might or might not like.

Start with magazines, about 10 manilla folders and label them.
Kitchen
Baths
Wall colors
Carpet
etc..

literally tear out pictures in magazine and sort them as per the folders
Once you have at least 5-10 photos in the main files..... go back through them and I bet you will see a "trend"

Two examples:
a) With Cherry cabinets, I selected a sage green for the walls, cream trim, UBA TUBA granite for the counters, neutral beige stone 6" squares at a diagonal for the backsplash and for easy maintenance (kids and dogs) we had her floor scored and stained (used umber/gold tones and cherry tones). We found a few area rugs for her keeping room and breakfast area to add warmth and it turned out wonderful. But she had high ceilings, recessed lighting for accents and a lot of natural light. This kitchen had a more "transitional feel" to it. We kept stainless steel appliances but also had mingled a few antiques as well.

Recently, another kitchen with cherry cabinets with low levels of natural light so we were careful with the "dark" colors and chose them wisely. We selected a light gold/mustard color for the walls, neutral stone tile for the floors and backsplash and they kept the UBA TUBA Granite on the counters. (There was a "special" that the client couldn't resist on the UBA TUBA..... it has gold tones and the green/black variations) We kept the flooring and backsplash lighter as well as the walls. We also increased the dramatic light by placing recessed cans over the 10' island and in the main pathway. It turned out just as lovely as the other kitchen. A little more modern than the first but still in the transitional setting.

A more contemporary look: adding glass tiles to the backsplash, keep stainless steel appliances, but add more glass to the front of the cabinet doors (pattern to the glass) as well. Keep the counters lighter as well and add contemporary bar stools. Island could be completely different than the rest of the millwork too.

Just a few thoughts! Get magazines!! Start your files!! Good luck!

Author: BeccaCon08 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4650 of 4657
Subject: Re: Moving into New Construction - Tips? Date: 3/23/2013 8:50 PM
Carpet and tile -- stay neutral!! beige but with tile, you can add a few accents. Anything goes with it....

Lighter the better for resale value
stain resistant carpeting is a must if you have kids

If you don't care about resale, then do what you want but it will hinder you when it's time to sell. Just ask anyone who was foolish enough to install those mauve colored toilets and tubs in the 70's.
Or pink tiled walls....

You can always add area rugs for color

Do not select browns ---

Greys were a 1970's trend as well --- but it could work
Magazine photos!!

Author: Lwise Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4653 of 4657
Subject: Re: Moving into New Construction - Tips? Date: 2/13/2014 4:40 PM
Here are some tips regarding color choices (passed along to my from my mother, who has a background in construction and real estate):

-choose colors that harmonize well with each other; make sure all your paint colors look good next to each other so that the entire house has a cohesive feel to it

- warm colors tend to feel more inviting than cool colors, so I would choose warmer versions of whatever colors you choose

-keep carpets, cabinets, etc. fairly neutral if you're at all concered with resale value (the above tips will also help with resale value as well as making your home pleasant to live in)

Finally, as for the carpet color, the townhome I'm living in now has a beautiful golden beige color for the carpets, and it's great! It doesn't show stains (and it's had drinks and even dog pee--unfortunately) on it, and it still looks great. I'd definitely go with the mid-shade of carpet rather than the lighter as it would wear well.

If you're ever planning on having kids or pets in the house, that darker carpet will pay off. Or if you're ever thinking of selling.

Author: LLRinCO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4654 of 4657
Subject: Re: Moving into New Construction - Tips? Date: 2/13/2014 6:36 PM
Laminate wood flooring works great for pets - the pee doesn't soak in like carpet, and some are thick enough to allow one sanding which will make it look like new before resale.

I like carpet that has a couple of similar colors blended in - also helps hide the stains.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement