UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31083  
Subject: Moving Lilies Date: 6/1/2005 10:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

Last fall I decided to move a bunch of asiatic and other lilies from their full-sun position, where they didn't do too well, to near a bush, where their feet could be in the shade. The only problem was, their foliage was gone, so I had to 'guess' where most of them were and start digging. Well, I found a whole bunch of them and transplanted.

Now that their foliage is back, I notice that I missed quite a few! Could I carefully transplant those few now to a new location? Or will transplanting now harm them? I know that if I wait until the fall, I'll probably 'miss' them again. Markers don't work, because for some reason, the squirrels dig them up (do they think they're marking hidden nuts? ;-)

2old
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Selphiras Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18037 of 31083
Subject: Re: Moving Lilies Date: 6/1/2005 1:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
My mom in NE Pennsylvania just transplanted and divided some lilies yesterday. I bought a lily in NE Wisconsin 10 days ago and planted it; seems to be doing just fine.

Selphiras

Author: GunnarSK Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18039 of 31083
Subject: Re: Moving Lilies Date: 6/1/2005 2:53 PM
My experience is that most lilies tolerate careful moving quite well, even if they are above ground. Moving them as perennials with soil protects the roots from drying out and mechanical damage. Lilium Candidum (Madonna Lily) doesn't like to be moved in spring/early summer, but will be OK next year.

Gunnar

Author: mishedlo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18045 of 31083
Subject: Re: Moving Lilies Date: 6/1/2005 11:56 PM
Now that their foliage is back, I notice that I missed quite a few! Could I carefully transplant those few now to a new location? Or will transplanting now harm them? I know that if I wait until the fall, I'll probably 'miss' them again. Markers don't work, because for some reason, the squirrels dig them up (do they think they're marking hidden nuts? ;-)

2old

I successfully moved Oriental Lillies (my favorite) and some tiger lilies and trumpet lilies as well within the last two weeks (and the latest at least a week ago). All are doing fine.

My guess is they are safe to move but until now I would have only been guessing.

Mish

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement