Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
An interesting table on what it takes to move 15k people an hour.

http://frumin.net/reblog/2006/12/15k_people_per_hour_by_transpo.html
Print the post Back To Top
Very interesting. Would be good to include a comparison of the 'terminal infrastructure' too - parking for cars or trains, plus stations etc. Then you could get into wait and acceleration times (how longs spent waiting for a train at 0 mph, versus get in your car and go), and what you do if the train doesn't go where you want to, or if the load isn't 15kph, but 15ph. I am amazed at the money spent on roads versus rail, which for some bizzare reason is supposed to be self-funding (at least Amtrak is).

Sebb
No. of Recommendations: 0
(at least Amtrak is)

Amtrak could probably be profitable if it wasn't run by the government. For some reason every congressman has decided its a selling point if they can get some train to run through there district, so you have trains taking these silly routes that aren't profitable to please a congressman or two.
I am amazed at the money spent on roads versus rail, which for some bizzare reason is supposed to be self-funding (at least Amtrak is).

<><><>

I love how Amtrak is always the example of federal waste while the Interstate highway system is money well spent. Perhaps they should charge people for using the interstates in order to make it budget neutral????

scm
No. of Recommendations: 0
Perhaps they should charge people for using the interstates in order to make it budget neutral????

Supposedly your gas taxes pay for the roads, but they generally throw in a few more tens of billions.
Advertisement