Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 971  
Subject: moving people! Date: 12/28/2006 3:11 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
An interesting table on what it takes to move 15k people an hour.

http://frumin.net/reblog/2006/12/15k_people_per_hour_by_transpo.html
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Sebb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 959 of 971
Subject: Re: moving people! Date: 1/2/2007 3:38 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Very interesting. Would be good to include a comparison of the 'terminal infrastructure' too - parking for cars or trains, plus stations etc. Then you could get into wait and acceleration times (how longs spent waiting for a train at 0 mph, versus get in your car and go), and what you do if the train doesn't go where you want to, or if the load isn't 15kph, but 15ph. I am amazed at the money spent on roads versus rail, which for some bizzare reason is supposed to be self-funding (at least Amtrak is).

Sebb

Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 960 of 971
Subject: Re: moving people! Date: 1/2/2007 7:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
(at least Amtrak is)

Amtrak could probably be profitable if it wasn't run by the government. For some reason every congressman has decided its a selling point if they can get some train to run through there district, so you have trains taking these silly routes that aren't profitable to please a congressman or two.

Author: StringCheeseMark Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 961 of 971
Subject: Re: moving people! Date: 2/19/2007 12:09 PM
I am amazed at the money spent on roads versus rail, which for some bizzare reason is supposed to be self-funding (at least Amtrak is).

<><><>

I love how Amtrak is always the example of federal waste while the Interstate highway system is money well spent. Perhaps they should charge people for using the interstates in order to make it budget neutral????

scm

Author: jck101 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 962 of 971
Subject: Re: moving people! Date: 2/19/2007 12:29 PM
Recommendations: 0
Perhaps they should charge people for using the interstates in order to make it budget neutral????

Supposedly your gas taxes pay for the roads, but they generally throw in a few more tens of billions.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement