Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am upgrading to a new computer. One of the programs on the old computer is "Personal Ancestral File - PAF" in which I have a whole bunch of genealogical data. Unfortunately, this program is obsolete and is not supported any more. I have concerns that it would even run properly in Windows 7 on the new computer.

They are advising users to convert over to one of three programs: Ancestral Quest, Legacy Family Tree or RootsMagic. They claim that all three can import existing PAF data and nothing will be lost.

My question is, has anyone here had any experience doing this? Have you used any of these 3 programs? Any recommendations as to which of the 3 is best?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi DoLoop,
I saw your posts over on the Quicken board as well. I hope all is going well with your upgrade. I use Legacy Family Tree 5.0 running on Windows 7 64-bit (on a Mac, actually). Legacy Family Tree can import PAF files versions 2.31, 4 or 5.
I hope this helps.
'38Packard
- also running Quicken Deluxe 2013 on Win 7 on a Mac
38Packard - Are you using the free version of Legacy or the paid one?

Also, did you by any chance use PAF prior to Legacy and thus import data from PAF to Legacy?
Hey DoLoop,

I am using the paid version of Legacy 5.0. My registration key file is from 2003.

I cannot recall importing any data into our database. My wife and I took as many records that we had and entered them. Then I spent days and days over the past 10 years or so researching, validating and entering the names and information into our database.

I'm happy with Legacy. It is pretty easy to use and very feature-rich. I also like the fact that I have GEDView on my iPhone and can import the GED file from Legacy and import it into GEDView for genealogy on the run.

Cheers!
'38Packard
Advertisement