UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFDitty Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 531  
Subject: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/19/2007 4:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Greetings, Indianan Fools!

My wife and I are just about fed up with expensive housing and insane rush hour (defined as 6 am to 10 am, and 3 pm to 8 pm weekdays, and all-day weekends) traffic in Northern Virginia.

We're contemplating a move out to Carmel, Indiana, within the next year or two. I figured before we make a decision, I should tap the Foolish braintrust to see what awaits us out there.

What's best about living in Indiana? What's worst?

For example, out here we have:

* lots of traffic (did I mention that?)
* annual car safety inspections and biannual emissions inspections
* high property taxes (about $4000 on a 1100-sq.ft. home)
* mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos near-year-round

How does Indiana compare?

Rich

Print the post Back To Top
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 491 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/19/2007 7:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What's best about living in Indiana?

Uh, the race, the corn, the Slippery Noodle (a bar), Broad Ripple (area of town), Gray's Cafeteria in Mooresville. Bon would tell you Dark Lord beer (see the beer board). Lots of colleges.

What's worst?

The weather, the weather, the weather, the rednecks (think Bob's Country Bunker in the Blues Brothers), and if you don't like basketball, just kill yourself now. Learn who Bob and Tom are.

For example, out here we have:

* lots of traffic (did I mention that?)

You might get a bit of a respite, but I wouldn't count on it.

How is this bad?

* high property taxes (about $4000 on a 1100-sq.ft. home)

Indiana's are getting bad, too. They recently enacted a regional tax to build a billion dollar dome for the Colts, but they're laying off firemen and teachers because they can't pay them.

* mosquitos, mosquitos, mosquitos near-year-round

You'll be please to hear that there are plenty of mosquitos in Indiana, too. Not in winter, though.

Author: susie56 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 492 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/19/2007 7:28 PM
My husband and I are originally from Indiana but lived in Maryland for move than 7 years (near the Baltimore area), so I understand what you are saying.

Carmel is a nice area surrounding Indianapolis, and the schools are good but also very large. The high school has close to 4,000 students. There are lots of activities for families with sports and music, as well as high academicies at the top of the list.

However, don't think there isn't any traffic here because you will also get caught up in the rush hour, but its not as insane as it is in the east. It takes approx an hour to get from Carmel to downtown Indianapolis during rush hour, otherwise approx 30 minutes.

Property taxes are not bad here. We pay approx $2200 annually for a 3500 sq foot house. You can certainly purschase a larger house (if desired) for your money here.

The only think I caution is if your families are there and you are close to your families, you might want to rethink it. While we were living out east, we had two family members pass away and it was very difficult to try and visit them.

Author: TMFDitty Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 493 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/19/2007 9:40 PM
However, don't think there isn't any traffic here because you will also get caught up in the rush hour, but its not as insane as it is in the east.

Thanks, Susie. I know the B-more area. Grew up in Carroll County, just up north, and did law school and a few months of work in the City. So how does Indianapolis rush hour compare to Baltimore's version?

And feedme:

The weather, the weather, the weather, the rednecks

Rednecks I can live with. I'm basically one myself, owing to growing up in rural Maryland. But what's so bad about the weather? Is it too cold, too hot, or tornado-ish?

How is this bad?

This is bad because I'm writing a half dozen columns for the Fool most days. The less time I have to deal with annoying regulatory requirements, the more time I'm free to write.

So how annoying is the Indianan bureau of motor vehicles in that respect?

Rich

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 494 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/19/2007 10:28 PM
But what's so bad about the weather? Is it too cold, too hot, or tornado-ish?

It's the fact that there is no good weather. Maybe a couple weeks in April and September, and that's about it if you're lucky. Grey skies for 10 months out of the year. Horrible humid weather during the summer. Snow on the ground into mid April this year, according to my family. I remember an Indy 500 that was 45° at the end of May. Absurd.

I moved out of Indiana specifically because of the weather. I hate snow, I hate rain, and I hate grey skies, and that's pretty much all you get in Indiana. The 110° summers in AZ (where I live now) are ten times more tolerable than 95° and 100% humidity in IN.

I don't even own a pair of gloves now, and that suits me fine!

Author: cgrinder Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 495 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/20/2007 11:42 PM
i live 100 miles north of indy. we get lake effect snow, indy gets ice more than snow.
are you stuck just on the carmel area? if so why?

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 496 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/21/2007 3:57 PM
You know, I'm actually glad you're so psychotically opposed to Indiana. It'll do just one small part to keep the population growth down around here, so we don't end up like either of the two coasts.

Draggon

Author: Jim2B Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 497 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/21/2007 4:46 PM
So how annoying is the Indianan bureau of motor vehicles in that respect?

Rich,

I moved to Indiana ~3.5 years ago.

BMV workers (at least the ones in my branch) are pretty cheerful & helpful.

HOWEVER, the written test to get your license is exceedingly STUPID. By stupid I mean they ask you all sorts of thing you never need to know (what's the maximum per axle weight of a truck, what's the maximum total weight of a truck, what's the maximum length, width, & height of a truck, what's size of motor is the largest permitted for a "moped" type vehicle, etc.). All sorts of things I've never seen on any other state's written test ARE on Indiana's test. It's madness I tell you!

Indianapolis weather is on par for the rest of the mid-west. Hot summers, cold winters, & violent storms in the spring. We *can* get tons of mosquitos but haven't so far this year.

Land is much cheaper, taxes are (MUCH) lower, we have no emissions standards in my county, no recycling either.

Oddly we have more 24 hour stores, pharmacies, etc. in my rural town than the Boston suburbs to which I have traveled on business over the last year.

Culturally, Indianapolis has nice attractions (symphony, children's choir, museums, fine dining, etc.). However, if you're living in Carmel the next closest cities with significant cultural attractions (Cincinnati, Louisville, Dayton) are 3+ hours away. Of course Chicago's only ~4 hours away and that should have just about anything you might desire.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 498 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/21/2007 6:16 PM
Culturally, Indianapolis has nice attractions (symphony, children's choir, museums, fine dining, etc.).

Yeah, the Children's Museum is very nice, as are the other museums.

Keep in mind that Carmel is often the butt of jokes because it's where the stuck-up rich people supposedly live, much like Scottsdale, AZ.

Of course Chicago's only ~4 hours away and that should have just about anything you might desire.

It's a long 4 hours, not a drive you'll make on the spur of the moment.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 499 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/21/2007 6:23 PM
You know, I'm actually glad you're so psychotically opposed to Indiana.

Ah, so you're psychotic if you don't like bad weather and racism? Give me a break.

It'll do just one small part to keep the population growth down around here, so we don't end up like either of the two coasts.

Enjoy drinking your Pabst.

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 500 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/22/2007 7:16 AM
Ah, so you're psychotic if you don't like bad weather and racism?

I know English can be difficult sometimes. I was describing your opposition to Indiana as psychotic. If you want to extrapolate that to encompass the whole you, I guess that's your perogative.

My reasoning? It's because you exaggerate the bejeezus out of everything you don't like about Indiana, and you pretend that any of the problems that actually do exist here don't exist or are minimal in the la-la land that you live in. And it's because you did the same thing last September when someone asked about moving to Indiana:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=24609674&sort=whole#24610768

psychosis: A mental state caused by psychiatric or organic illness, characterized by a loss of contact with reality and an inability to think rationally. A psychotic person often behaves inappropriately and is incapable of normal social functioning.

Seems appropriate to me.

Enjoy drinking your Pabst.

Uh... yeah. Good example of what I'm referring to.

Draggon

Author: Draggon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 501 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/22/2007 7:19 AM
I know English can be difficult sometimes... your perogative.

Damned irony showing it's ugly face again... :D

Draggon

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 502 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/22/2007 3:48 PM
I know English can be difficult sometimes....perogative.

Speeling, too.

My reasoning? It's because you exaggerate the bejeezus out of everything you don't like about Indiana

Look, the weather is unacceptable to me 90% of the time, and there are too many racist rednecks for me to put up with. The last straw for me was snow in late March and a co-worker talking about having sent a check for a thousand bucks to James Earl Ray for shooting that n----. I heard enough of the attitude that I packed up and left.

Author: TMFDitty Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 504 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 5/26/2007 3:17 PM
Thanks all and to Jim2B in particular, for the very helpful advice.

Fred, to be honest, I know nothing about the area. My wife has some relatives who moved to Carmel from Moscow a few years ago. We're looking at that town in particular, just because it's got the family support network already in place.

Fool on, y'all!

Rich

Author: epona4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 509 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 6/8/2007 7:15 AM
Rich,

I've been off the boards for about a month. I'm going to re-post my thoughts from a previous thread. (and Carmel is a nice place):

Wes,

Hmmm..not sure I'll be able to "sell you on it".

We moved from Chicagoland to the Indy area. We do not regret it. But I don't know that this is our forever home, either. (it's most certainly our "Until the older kids graduate" home. (maybe the younger ones, too)

This is not going to be in any particular order. Just random thoughts as I think of them. (we live a bit east of Indy.)

Weather, it's Indiana. Ya don't like, wait five minutes, it'll change. Winter is not too bad. Actually, not enough snow for me. :)

Tornados about the same as St. Louis. Maybe even a bit more. (however this year was bad for them)

Churches...OMG! One on every corner. However, Indy does have several U.U.s

Rednecks...we got'em.

Land, a bit flat.

Traffic, we came from the Chicago area. There is no traffic here.

A bit too conservative, but not awful.

A lot of hospitals.

Some good restaraunts. Sushi. (I discovered that I really like sushi after we moved here)

I think I'd like Bloomington more. Much prettier. Much more liberal. Less snow than Indy, but I think I could live with that. They have hills and more trees. :) Not sure about hospitals. Artist colony not far. (Nashville Indiana I think)

One of the things my DD 1 loves to say. "Indiana, it's not just for corn anymore. We've got soybeans, too."

Yeah, the more I add to this, the less appealing I think it probably sounds to the "normal" person. :) I love the snow, the cornfields, the cows and small towns. Yet I hate the small minds, the bible thumping and lack of hills. And oh yeah. NOT HAVING A REAL BOOK STORE WITHIN A 25 MINUTE DRIVE!! (not that I'm bitter)

However, on the northeast side of town there are some really nice 'burbs. Lots of nice malls. A great outdoor concert facility. (Phish fans know it as DeerCreek. Now the Verizon Wireless Center) I think downtown Indy is really pretty.Love the Circle. It's a big city without being overwhelming. (Chicago was just too much for me) A beautiful opera house. A wonderful City Choir for the children. (Indianapolis Childrens Choir. It is really quite amazing) A nice Zoo, WONDEFUl Childrens Musuem. A very active SCA group. (Renaissance/Middle Ages reenactment group. Yes, nerdy...but fun!) :) And of course the Pacers, Colts and the racing.

Hope that helped in some way. :)
b

Author: TMFDitty Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 510 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 6/27/2007 3:57 PM
Karl and Beth,

I've been distracted the past few weeks (writing, you know), but decided to check the board again and saw your posts. They were both superb, and informative.

It's beginning to look like the wife, at least, considers this a done deal. And from what you tell me about the State, I think I can live there. Thanks for the reassurance.

Rich

Author: saraswati1 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 513 of 531
Subject: Re: Moving to Indiana Date: 9/27/2007 8:21 PM
Recommendations: 2
<i>What's best about living in Indiana? What's worst?</i>

I had some neighbors here in Dallas who lived in Indianapolis then moved here, then moved back.  They were excited to go back.  Said they liked it alot.

I grew up there and my parents still live there.  It has improved greatly since I left after high school twenty nine years ago.  I am not so familiar with Carmel as I have not been there for many years, but other poster's descriptions match what I hear.  I know they are trying to promote a vibrant art scene, although I don't know the quality of it. 

A 4000 enrollment high school is nothing new.  My graduating class was 1200.  We had the #1 state band, choir, football team and 2nd in basketball during my years there, so there are some benefits to the big high schools.  Good facilities and extras.  Basketball is obviously big in Indianapolis.

I attended the Indianapolis Repertory Theatre growing up, which was wonderful.  They also used to have Civic Theatre in the summer.  Downtown has improved greatly and, while small, has a lovely circular center with the Soldiers and Sailors Monument and roads radiating outward from that city center.  The Eiteljorg museum is quite lovely architecturally.  The Children's Museum is one of the best in the world.

My mother goes to the symphony, but I have no experience of that in Indianapolis myself, so I cannot comment.

I always visit Shapiros, a jewish delicatessan, in its humble downtown location, when I visit.  This deli rivals NY deli's like Katz's.  (ok a bit of an exaggeration.)  But it beats hands down anything in Dallas, TX.   Four inch thick pastrami sandwiches, matzah ball soup, potato latkes, stuffed peppers, etc.

Indianapolis has also striven to promote many sports complexes, although I am not current on this.  I know they have had major tennis, swimming (IUPUI sports complex) and of course are in the process of building a new stadium downtown.  Colts are there obviously.

Speaking of IUPUI, there is a strong medical community because of the teaching facilities related to IU.  And you have two pretty good Universities in Purdue and IU if your kids are close to that age.  I noticed both are in Forbes this month as 26th and 39th best Business Schools in the US.  Purdue is also good for engineering.  Don't really know too much more.

South of Indianapolis near Bloomington is the Limestone Capital of the World, where stone was quarried for some of the most famous buildings and monuments in Washington DC and NY, etc.  Some interesting little towns down there for those who search out the unusual.  You may or may not recall a small movie called "Breaking Away" which is about this region. 

Cincinnati 2 hours away.  I once had an airline send me by taxi to Cincinnati to catch a plane when my flight was cancelled, LOL.  Chicago four hours away, and many treasures there to explore.

Broad Ripple is nice, as mentioned.  And there are some lovely state parks that are worth visiting.  Southern Indiana is pretty being at the foothills essentially of the appalacians or something?  Rolling topography.  If you like to garden, in Indiana you can pretty much stick anything in the ground and it will grow. 

The downside is that it is fairly conservative.  And flat.  And its roots are in blue collar industry and farming.  My children think its deadsville, but they are visiting the grandparents when they go, where things are very quiet and slow-paced, lol. 

There is a lot of traffic in the north Indianapolis area around Fishers.  I just don't know about Carmel.  Property values are fairly low, perhaps not in Carmel.  But it is supposed to be lovely. 

Hope I'm not too late to help.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement