Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2855  
Subject: Mr. Beer Doctoring Up Methods Date: 2/19/2013 11:12 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well , my first batch turned out horribly . From now on I am going to use the methods that these two kin guys recommend .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDqnFPgpb-0

... James .... ( seeking to become a Brewer & Patriot like you guys/gals . )
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jimialvin Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2743 of 2855
Subject: Re: Mr. Beer Doctoring Up Methods Date: 2/19/2013 11:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
... kind guys ..

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2744 of 2855
Subject: Re: Mr. Beer Doctoring Up Methods Date: 2/21/2013 7:43 PM
Those guys have good information, for me they are just a bit difficult to watch.

However, I really liked their technique for making a sour beer that doesn't infect all your other equipment. Soon as I have my brew in a bag repeatable, I really want to try it.

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2745 of 2855
Subject: Re: Mr. Beer Doctoring Up Methods Date: 2/21/2013 7:59 PM
Well , my first batch turned out horribly . From now on I am going to use the methods that these two kin guys recommend .

That's a start, but if you really want to brew I would ditch the Mr. Beer and head to your local homebrew shop for a starter kit.

At least the results of your first Mr. Beer experience didn't turn you off of homebrewing altogether. Unfortunately, I think most people give it a try, make bad beer, and then decide that homebrewing isn't for them.

Author: LakeEffect Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2746 of 2855
Subject: Re: Mr. Beer Doctoring Up Methods Date: 2/21/2013 8:59 PM
Recommendations: 1
That's a start, but if you really want to brew I would ditch the Mr. Beer and head to your local homebrew shop for a starter kit.

Agree with Sven ... Mr Beer is to homebrewing what TV dinners are to cooking. A bucket, some extract (liquid or powder), some real hops and yeast are not much more expensive and will make a far superior brew.

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2747 of 2855
Subject: Re: Mr. Beer Doctoring Up Methods Date: 2/22/2013 2:11 PM
Unfortunately, I think most people give it a try, make bad beer, and then decide that homebrewing isn't for them.

The problem with Mr Beer is that lots of people try to make high powered beers without understanding the system they are using. There are MANY mr beer forums out there, and lots of good information.

You can make decent beer with mr beer if you learn the system. Not sure if you can make any 'big' beers that taste like beer (because you can't get that much extract into the fermentor, so people use sugar).

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2748 of 2855
Subject: Re: Mr. Beer Doctoring Up Methods Date: 2/22/2013 3:43 PM
The problem with Mr Beer is that lots of people try to make high powered beers without understanding the system they are using. There are MANY mr beer forums out there, and lots of good information.

You can make decent beer with mr beer if you learn the system. Not sure if you can make any 'big' beers that taste like beer (because you can't get that much extract into the fermentor, so people use sugar).

I'm sure you can make decent beer with one if you research it but that's not how they are marketed. My biggest beef with the Mr.Beer is that it undermines local homebrew supply shops which I rely on. Not only does it take away from holiday equipment sales but it also sours a lot of people on the hobby.

Author: dlbuffy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2749 of 2855
Subject: Re: Mr. Beer Doctoring Up Methods Date: 2/22/2013 4:10 PM
My biggest beef with the Mr.Beer is that it undermines local homebrew supply shops which I rely on. Not only does it take away from holiday equipment sales but it also sours a lot of people on the hobby.

Eh...everyone starts somewhere. As a kid started with snap together models, they looked terrible and I wasn't happy, so learned to glue models. Then I realized that decals only went so far, if you wanted better looking you had to learn to paint.

(Then it was down hill as I learned you could blow them up and then rebuild them and see how close you could get...LOL.)

But, if they get put off because of a Mr. Beer, then they would never had made a good customer anyway. There are customers that want to be better and they will make their own shopping decisions, then there are customers that just want to be hand held and take up all the vendor's time. I'd rather those people not be at my LHBS when I am there with a grain order and three very specific questions about yeast strains.

Author: SvenHoek Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2750 of 2855
Subject: Re: Mr. Beer Doctoring Up Methods Date: 2/22/2013 7:01 PM
Recommendations: 1
But, if they get put off because of a Mr. Beer, then they would never had made a good customer anyway. There are customers that want to be better and they will make their own shopping decisions, then there are customers that just want to be hand held and take up all the vendor's time. I'd rather those people not be at my LHBS when I am there with a grain order and three very specific questions about yeast strains.

I'm with you on that. I actually have the opposite problem with one of my local HB supply stores. The owner is a guy who feels obligated to drop his "knowledge" at every available opportunity whether I need it or not. I can't go in to buy a piece of tubing without it taking me an hour. I'd rather drive an extra 20 minutes to go to another shop where I can get what I want and get out.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement