Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rationalwalk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 223702  
Subject: Mr. Market & The Floor Date: 12/12/2012 3:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
FT on today's developments:

Analysts and investors said the announcement on Wednesday had put a floor under the share price at $134,000 per A share, where it was trading mid-morning in New York and already equal to 120 per cent of book value.

All the talk of the "floor" reminds me of the adage that Mr. Market seeks to cause the maximum pain for the maximum number of investors. To the extent that the consensus is that there is a "floor" at 1.2x book, chances are that eventually trading strategies that rely on this floor are going to blow up. Probably the floor will be there 95%+ of the time. The question is the other 5% of the time and whether people put in place strategies that can spectacularly fail if the "floor" assumption fails to hold.

Of course none of this matters to long term investors who should HOPE that the floor theory falls apart so we can actually get some repurchases. The more stock repurchased at these levels the better.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Oil and Gas
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.