Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm trying to help my 70-1/2 year old mother. She is going to start to withdraw from her IRA, and has elected the take it all out over a 5-year period rather than the 10-year option that the provider also offered.

Her concern is 2-fold:
1. taxes she will pay (no getting around this, but aren't the current Bush administration tax rates "better" than what was or what might be in the future?)
2. FDIC-insured limit at her bank - she will probably take her IRA money and put what she doesn't spend into the bank. She is concerned that that she will max out and need to find another place to put her IRA distributions. Any suggestions where to put the excess money and/or info about the FDIC limit would be much appreciated.

I am equally clueless.

Aadrew
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement