UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Carolotto Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: MRD and 403B Date: 12/8/1999 3:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My husband has a 403B from which he has to start taking the required minimum distribution beginning next year as he turned 70 in August.
  We are a bit unsure the best way to handle this.  We have been consulting with some financial advisors.  I believe we have to base it on our joint life expectancies which is about 22 years.
  So we have to take out what amounts to approximately 5.5%.  We really do not need it to live on at this stage of our lives.  So we will need to reinvest it.  How does that compute?  Will we still run out?
  Of course, should he preceed me in death, our SS and Pension benefits will decrease by 25 to 30% so I might need to use part of it to live on.  We feel fortunate to have this and we want to use it wisely.  We are currently making house payments as we had to buy a house when we retired!  That will be done in 2008.
We assume that the 403B and IRAs are handled the same when it comes to withdrawal..?
  Thanks for your foolish help! 

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

The American Energy Revolution
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement