UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1961549  
Subject: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/8/2012 9:09 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 37
A Lost Civilization
By MAUREEN DOWD
Published: December 8, 2012

Ms. Dowd discusses the demise, through extinction, of the Republican Party.

A few tidbits:

<<big (and pretty funny) snip>>

Some G.O.P. House members continue to try to wrestle the president over the fiscal cliff. Romney wanders in a daze, his hair not perfectly gelled. And his campaign advisers continue to express astonishment that a disastrous campaign, convention and candidate, as well as a lack of familiarity with what Stevens dismissively calls “whiz-bang turnout technologies,” could possibly lead to defeat.

Who would ever have thought blacks would get out and support the first black president? Who would ever have thought women would shy away from the party of transvaginal probes? Who would ever have thought gays would work against a party that treated them as immoral and subhuman? Who would have ever thought young people would desert a party that ignored science and hectored on social issues? Who would ever have thought Latinos would scorn a party that expected them to finish up their chores and self-deport?

Republicans know they’re in trouble when W. emerges as the moral voice of the party. ...

<<big (but entertaining) snip>>

And I couldn't resist this one:

But history will no doubt record that withering Republicans were finally wiped from the earth in 2016 when the relentless (and rested) Conquistadora Hillary marched in, General Bill on a horse behind her, and finished them off.

Read it all (and, as usual, check out the reader comments) at:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/opinion/sunday/dowd-a-lost...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843259 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/8/2012 11:20 PM
Recommendations: 0
She does have a way ;)

Sadly, there's too much truth in that article to discuss it.

Obama sucks

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843305 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 2:22 AM
Recommendations: 1
Somehow I doubt Hillary will be the Dem nominee in 2016. Yeah, she's pretty heavily hyped now, and depending on events of the next 4 years a Dem victory is logical speculation. But I have a gut feeling that some younger Democrat will muscle Hillary aside and the Clinton part of Democratic history will be exactly that: history.

Author: goaltender95 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843312 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 7:36 AM
Bwahahahahahahahaha I love it!

Who would ever have thought blacks would get out and support the first black president? Who would ever have thought women would shy away from the party of transvaginal probes? Who would ever have thought gays would work against a party that treated them as immoral and subhuman? Who would have ever thought young people would desert a party that ignored science and hectored on social issues? Who would ever have thought Latinos would scorn a party that expected them to finish up their chores and self-deport?

Author: flightdoc101 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843329 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 10:38 AM
Recommendations: 26
Randall

How do you manage to exemplify the most rude, gauche, and boorish behavior so consistently?

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843334 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 10:52 AM
Recommendations: 2
How do you manage to exemplify the most rude, gauche, and boorish behavior so consistently?

Now I do not want to speak entirely for Josh

But exposure to liberals really helps a lot. I know I used to have trouble being rude and intentionally treating folks like they were dirt.

But after folks you thought were OK call you a racist and a nazi you realize my goodness, they really are no good lowlifes.

at that point it is really easy

Do you really think being obnoxious for so long was not going to have folks treat you as a group the same way?

Yeah yeah, I know you did not do that, of course liberals never do what liberals have done for so long

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843335 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 11:07 AM
Recommendations: 3
But exposure to liberals really helps a lot. I know I used to have trouble being rude and intentionally treating folks like they were dirt.

But after folks you thought were OK call you a racist and a nazi you realize my goodness, they really are no good lowlifes.

The only persons actions you have control over are your own.

Grape

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843337 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 11:18 AM

Then why is 0bama forcing Americans to buy health insurance, pay for free contraceptives, and trying to control the behaviors of business and free individuals?

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843339 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 11:20 AM
Then why is 0bama forcing Americans to buy health insurance, pay for free contraceptives, and trying to control the behaviors of business and free individuals?

So there should be no laws then? There are all kinds of behaviors that are required as part of a civilized society. That has nothing to do, however, with how one person treats another.

Grape

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843341 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 11:24 AM
Recommendations: 3
Yes there should be laws, like our Constitution but 0bama and liberals ignore it and do control the behavior of others. If you don't behave like he thinks you should, you get fined.

Liberalism is a mental disorder.

Author: NemesisToLibs Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843342 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 11:24 AM
"So there should be no laws then? There are all kinds of behaviors that are required as part of a civilized society. That has nothing to do, however, with how one person treats another.

Grape "

Oh come on Grape. You know that is not what the OP meant. Has your time in elected office already corrupted your mind??

We are speaking of laws that deny individuals their freedom of choice. Do you value your freedoms or not?

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843344 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 11:33 AM
Oh come on Grape. You know that is not what the OP meant. Has your time in elected office already corrupted your mind??

We are speaking of laws that deny individuals their freedom of choice. Do you value your freedoms or not?

How does this statement have anything to do with what you just said?

I know I used to have trouble being rude and intentionally treating folks like they were dirt.

Freedom to do what? Treat people like dirt? It's an easy choice. When you see behavior you say you disapprove of, you can either stay above it or lower yourself to it. It's very easy to justify bad behavior because "they do it too". The statement I responded to has zero to do with laws and freedom.

Grape

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843402 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 4:28 PM

___________________________________-

Never said otherwise.

The question was how can you consistently be nasty was essentially the question. The answer was, it is easy when dealing with people that are just as nasty.

No reason to be nasty unless you get a kick out of it.

But answering jokers who want to act as if they do not act the same way, and are not a member of a large group who are exactly as he pretends to disdain -- anything other than flippant seems silly.

But, acting as if the behavior of others does not impact your behavior? That too seems silly. Now if it leads you to not enjoy yourself? That would make no sense.

to act this way, because it is the best you can get in a place you get a kick out of being, although you know it could be more, but for the behavior of others? Of that I have no control.

Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843467 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 8:27 PM
(rinjr715:) ....I have a gut feeling that some younger Democrat will muscle Hillary aside and the Clinton part of Democratic history will be exactly that: history.
===================================
Very possible. That's what happened 4 years ago.

Bill

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843484 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 9:29 PM
Do they use a nail gun or just a hammer?

They give it to a "Right to Lifer" who kills it.

Author: Windchasers Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843502 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 11:12 PM
Randall

He's evangelizing! Being a witness for Christ.. or maybe the Republican Party.. I can't figure out which.

Author: xLife Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843507 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/9/2012 11:24 PM
I know I used to have trouble being rude and intentionally treating folks like they were dirt.

You're blaming your obnoxious behavior on others.

That's excuse-making.

Only you are responsible for your behavior.

And Josh is a racist, or at least acts like one.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843569 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/10/2012 10:41 AM
It was a good op-ed. However, I do question her last statement. I very much doubt Hillary is going to just waltz into the White House in 2016. She has a LOT of baggage behind her. Just because they didn't bring it out in the primaries in 2008 does not mean it's gone. I don't pretend to remember all the details, but there was something about her old law firm and corruption/patronage. Maybe more than that (alleged murders?). My memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

You KNOW the Republicans will dig all that up and start flinging excrement everywhere. I don't know how much they would have to spin it, but I have no doubt they will bash her with that. Whether or not it's true, it may make her an nonviable candidate.

1poorguy

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843573 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/10/2012 10:51 AM
The only real baggage Hillary has IMO remains ceding the war decision to W. That's what ultimately killed her shot in 2008.

I think she now has the gravitas to come forward, admit it was an error and claim to have grown since. If she does and if Biden doesn't run, then I think the Pres would be free to support her efforts to succeed him and pay back Bill for his 2012 support.

Ken

Author: FoolinGrapeApe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843581 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/10/2012 11:07 AM
If she does and if Biden doesn't run,

One of the biggest factors against both of them will be there age. Biden will be what, 73 by the time campaign season hits? Hillary would be 68. The electorate might be looking for some younger talent. Reagan was able to pull it off so it's not unheard of. The other factor would be Biden/Clinton fatigue. Both have been around a long time.

Grape

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1843642 of 1961549
Subject: Re: Ms. Maureen Nails It. Again. Date: 12/10/2012 12:49 PM
Wah, wah, wah. Josh Wandel said sumpin' that offended me. Mommy, mommy, take his views away and get rid of them. Mommy, I believe in a person's right to speak his beliefs even if I find them offensive. I would join the military and fight for that right.

Liberalism, hypocrisy and mental disorder.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement