UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 188685  
Subject: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 11/12/2012 1:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Well, here we go again. IMHO it appears to me MS will never develop an OS without critical security flaws. I am surely not an Apple fanboi in anyway, shape or form, but it would be nice to see a MS come out with a clean OS which works from day one without what seems like a "million" patches in the works. Just my 2 cents.

<snip>

Microsoft warns of first critical Windows 8, RT security flaws

Summary: Plug everything in and prepare the systems: Patch Tuesday is coming. Microsoft will release six security patches, four of them considered 'critical' for Windows 8, and Surface-ready Windows RT operating systems.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns-of-first-critical-windo...

Rich
Arizona ... a long time WIN user
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182512 of 188685
Subject: Re: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 11/12/2012 2:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Rich operating systems today are so huge and complex I question if it is possible to write one without critical flaws. Windows has had as requirement backward compatibility since DOS 2.x - so issues get carried along. While on the surface OSX does not appear to have the same issues, it was a total clean slate when Jobs created its start at NEXT.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: stockmover Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182513 of 188685
Subject: Re: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 11/12/2012 2:55 PM
Good points Gordon. I was thinking if the development of a "relatively clean" WIN OS was even possible after I posted my message.

I always appreciate your insights my friend.

Rich
Arizona

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182516 of 188685
Subject: Re: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 11/12/2012 4:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
Rich for me the key point is the RT product. This is about as clean as MSFT will ever get. This runs on new hardware, so I assume there are no legacy issue with drivers. This does not run leggy programs. Any new OS will have some bugs and holes. But if the level of stuff that has existed with XP for example exists, I will be forced to conclude the corporation has a systemic culture that does not value security, privacy or quality. Under those circumstances the cure goes way beyond cleaning out Balmer and a few dozen other executives. Thankfully Buffet at least is on the Board.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182518 of 188685
Subject: Re: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 11/12/2012 6:15 PM
Windows NT was supposed to start with a clean slate, too.

Author: chasb Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182523 of 188685
Subject: Re: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 11/12/2012 11:32 PM
Whasamatta MSFT, is your brand new toy operating system busted?

Charlie Brown

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182795 of 188685
Subject: Re: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 12/5/2012 9:08 PM
Well, here we go again. IMHO it appears to me MS will never develop an OS without critical security flaws. I am surely not an Apple fanboi in anyway, shape or form, but it would be nice to see a MS come out with a clean OS which works from day one without what seems like a "million" patches in the works. Just my 2 cents. ... - stockmover | Date: 11/12/2012 1:47:44 PM | Number: 182794

UNIX is an almost free open-source Operating System that has been around for decades. The Apple OS is primarily UNIX based.

Kahuna, CFA

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182796 of 188685
Subject: Re: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 12/5/2012 9:58 PM
"UNIX is an almost free open-source Operating System that has been around for decades. The Apple OS is primarily UNIX based."

Does it cause it's users respond to nearly month old posts?
FWIW Unix IS free....support, training, and value added on-top may not be (case in point OS X).
B

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182797 of 188685
Subject: Re: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 12/5/2012 11:34 PM
Recommendations: 2
When did *UNIX* go free and open-source?

Linux is free and open-source, but it's an independent product.

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182814 of 188685
Subject: Re: MS warns of Win8 Critical Security Flaws Date: 12/7/2012 6:28 PM
"When did *UNIX* go free and open-source?"

Never if by UNIX one can only mean AT&T's IP exclusively but if something quacks like a a UNIX duck.....
Anyway FreeBSD has direct lineage to the original UNIX (close enough arguably for past lawsuits to have happened) <shrug>
B

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement