UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189581  
Subject: MSE on or off? Date: 11/19/2012 12:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The MSE shield in the system tray is red and has a white X in it. Clicking on it brings up the "Security Center" box telling me that my virus protection is off, but the so-called Recommendation doesn't give me an option to turn it back on. (Why it's off, I don't know.)

But if I open MSE from Start -> All Programs, it says it's on, active and I'm protected. I ran a Quick Scan to see, and it ran fine, reporting zero problems. Yet the red shield remains.

Does MS get a kick out of giving a contradictory status?

~aj
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182573 of 189581
Subject: Re: MSE on or off? Date: 11/19/2012 1:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Quit any programs, except MSE, Windows & a browser.

Go to Add/Remove programs and remove MSE.

Go to
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentia...
and download and install.

Accept all the defaults.

You want a green tent with a check mark.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182576 of 189581
Subject: Re: MSE on or off? Date: 11/19/2012 2:11 PM
"
Go to Add/Remove programs and remove MSE."

When I tried, I got this:

http://dotcomjoe.com/1119h1

None of the files listed in the "Use Source" dropdown box were found.

~aj

Author: grouse100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182578 of 189581
Subject: Re: MSE on or off? Date: 11/19/2012 2:50 PM
Just DL MSE and install

Author: geocarw Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182582 of 189581
Subject: Re: MSE on or off? Date: 11/19/2012 3:23 PM
1. Download Microsoft Security Essentials from this website and SAVE the file on the Desktop:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentia...
2. Open the 'Run' dialog via Start > Run.
3. Click Browse and locate the MSE file you just downloaded and click 'Open'
4. You should now be back to the 'Run' dialog with the downloaded file address in the 'Open:' box (example: "C:\...\Desktop\mseinstall.exe")
5. Now put a space and /U after the file address as seen below:
"C:\...\Desktop\mseinstall.exe /U"
6. Click OK and this should uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials.
7. After the uninstall you can now attempt installation. It would be best that you restart your system first after the uninstall.
8. To install, repeat Step 2,3,4 and click OK

George

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182585 of 189581
Subject: Re: MSE on or off? Date: 11/19/2012 4:16 PM
Recommendations: 2
Thanks for all the pointers.

Before starting the reinstallation, I shut down and then rebooted.
Now MSE flies a green flag over the tent in the system tray.
My first guess may have been correct: MS does enjoy screwing with my mind.
I copied and saved the reinstallation procedure for future reference,

Again, thanks to all.

~aj

Author: ukgold Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182586 of 189581
Subject: Re: MSE on or off? Date: 11/19/2012 5:24 PM
~aj..

I had the same problem, but I removed all traces of MSE with the FREE version of "REVO UNINSTALLER"
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_downloa...

then reinstall MSE from
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?...

type NSE in the search box and then just run the download

Alan

Author: rosewine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 182594 of 189581
Subject: Re: MSE on or off? Date: 11/20/2012 7:11 AM
I've had this the last couple times windows updated. I just updated MSE and all was well after that.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement