No. of Recommendations: 2
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/Departments/eLearning/?article...

Well-meaning oldsters still ask college students: "What are you going to do with that degree?" The question should be, "What do you want to do?" The major is just not that important anymore.
[...]
College today is what high school was a generation ago. It is a basic introduction to knowledge and thinking, a basic entry ticket to a certain type of job. So what of the major? Isn't it a critical indicator that the student possesses the skills needed to perform in that first-level, management-track job? Does it matter much at all?

Let's ask corporate recruiters -- the very people who go out to college campuses looking for the best hires they can find. It turns out, the No. 1 major that recruiters in America look for is "any."
[...]
According to a survey by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, here are the skills they seek most, in order of preference:
Communication skills
Strong work ethic
Teamwork skills
Initiative
Interpersonal skills
Problem-solving skills
Analytical skills
Flexibility/adaptability
Computer skills
Technical skills
Detail-oriented
Organizational skills

A student who is engaged and involved in college could develop this skillset within any major.

Having seen my friends go out into the workforce, I kind of suspected this already; the fact that they had that base of education, and that they'd finished what they started, was far more important than the particular skill set they'd acquired in college.

As an Accounting-major-turned-CPA, I know that some employers in some professions insist upon a certain level of technical knowledge, but I also had a co-worker in public accounting whose highest degree was a Master in Fine Arts. Brilliant pianist, but after gigging for a few years, apparently he got tired of that and wanted a new career track.

--
Raven
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement