Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: JeanDavid Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121150  
Subject: Re: FairTax Date: 1/24/2013 8:21 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Much of the populate might respond by saying, "So what? They're rich! They can afford it!" But the real problem with the FairTax is with people of modest means that are approaching their retirement goals. (Like me.) You're asking us to give up our goals and retire much, much later. Worse, people that have just entered their retirement years would have to either scale back their spending drastically or they'd need to go back to work.

I am already retired, and my spendthrift friends who have borrowed out all the equity in their houses and have no other money saved think I am rich. My view is that what I have saved has to last perhaps 26 more years, and the inflation sure to result from quantitative easing and other money printing is sure to bite me sooner or later.

As far as the option of going back to work is concerned, the company I worked for for 25 years no longer exists, though it lasted over 100 years. The company I worked for before that is gone. As is the company I worked for most recently.

Those who think I could go back to work are kidding themselves. I am 74 now. Ever heard of age discrimination? Sure it is illegal. So what? And even without that, almost all the jobs I can do either are no longer done, or at least, are no longer done in this country. I am not eager to move to India or The People's Democratic Republic of China, if they would even have me. People in more need of jobs that I currently am are already having an almost impossible time getting one. And those jobs mostly do not pay enough to live on.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (41) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Kate Spade's Wild Ride
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement