No. of Recommendations: 2
Multi-sector bond funds are doing well this year. Below are the top 25 from Morningstar’s screener, ranked by their YTD return. Some won’t be accessible by small accounts, because the minimum-purchase is $100k (and up). The alternative is do find one with a lower, initial-purchase requirement, or to buy individual bonds.

If returns for the asset-class continue as they have been for the rest of the year, investors would be looking at an average, 25% return for the year, which isn’t shabby.

“Not realistic”, you say? Well, pull the 3-year returns for the better funds in the asset-class and then decide. As you’ll see, 25% isn’t much of a stretch. Not a likely one, granted. But not out of the question, either, as long as the Fed continues its ZIRP and stocks don’t crash.

YTD Fund Name
7.04 Maxim Loomis Sayles Bond
6.75 Loomis Sayles Fixed Incom
6.64 AllianceBern High Income
6.64 Loomis Sayles Bond Instl
6.62 AllianceBern High Income
6.61 AllianceBern High Income
6.58 Loomis Sayles Strategic I
6.56 AllianceBern High Income
6.55 AllianceBern High Income
6.55 Loomis Sayles Bond Retail
6.54 Loomis Sayles Strategic I
6.54 Loomis Sayles Strategic I
6.53 Loomis Sayles Bond Admin
6.52 Loomis Sayles Strategic I
6.48 AllianceBern High Income
6.38 Loomis Sayles Strategic I
6.38 Loomis Sayles Strategic I
6.12 Russell Global Opportunis
6.12 Russell Global Opportunis
6.11 Russell Global Opportunis
6.11 Russell Global Opportunis
6.10 Russell Global Opportunis
5.92 Russell Global Opportunis

4.24 Multisector Bond Avg (YTD as of 03/02/12), 25% projected for the whole year
9.33 S&P 500

Standard Disclaimers: The preceding must not be construed as investment advice. I'm long the asset-class, but that could change at any time.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement