Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886  
Subject: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/24/2012 5:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

If anyone sees this...board isn't being used much these days!

Anyone here ever use those DVD players that hold multiple disks? I was just wondering if you put two DVD's in and move back and forth between them, does the machine remember the location you left off at with each disk? Or if you move from one disk to another does it start from the beginning again as if you ejected it and put a second disk in?
Thanks,
RB
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 815 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/24/2012 9:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Really depends on the machine. Not all of them have memories.

Fuskie
Who notes not all single-disc DVD players have memories...

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 816 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/24/2012 11:05 PM
Thanks Fuskie. I guess I'll have to contact the manufacturer each time I find one on Amazon that I might like, because I don't see them mention memory one way or the other.
Thanks for the tip.
RB

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 817 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/24/2012 11:56 PM
Or go into Best Buy and ask.

Fuskie
Who thinks there's nothing better than a demonstration...

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 818 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/30/2012 8:21 PM
Thanks Fuskie. I'll take a trip to Best Buy and see what I can find out. I'll let you know.

Do you know much about Bluray vs. DVD? I just have a regular DVD player, but maybe I should get a combo machine so I can play both.

If I see a movie for sale and it says "Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy", does that mean it will play on BOTH a DVD player and a Bluray player? And I wonder what "digital copy" means?

Thanks,
RB

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 819 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/30/2012 8:59 PM
You can get Blu-ray players for under $100 at Costco and other discount electronics stores. A 3D Blu-ray player gives you the capability of playing the growing number of 3D movies, providing you have a 3D capable TV.

When you see a move that says Blu-ray/DVD Combo + Digital Copy, it means you get 3 discs in the case - a Blu-ray version, a standard DVD version and a data disc with a digital video file that can be unlocked.

Fuskie
Who notes virtually all Blu-ray players also play DVD, but suggests also looking for internet-enabled players with Netflix and other features...

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 820 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/30/2012 9:13 PM
Thanks Fuskie. It's hard to stay abreast of new developments!

We don't have a 3D TV so I'm not going to go there :)

What would one do with the digital data disk video file?

Also, the idea of a unit that is internet-enabled is an interesting idea. Never thought of that. But we do have a Roku unit already. So would that be duplicating to get a DVD player with that capability also?

So even if I don't have any Blu-Ray disks yet, it wouldn't hurt to get a player since they play DVD's also. Good to know.

Thanks,
RB
(Are you watching the NHL playoffs even though they stole your team from you? The bums!)

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 821 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/30/2012 9:22 PM
What would one do with the digital data disk video file?

Play it on your computer, tablet, phone device, etc. Does the Roku already get your Netflix access? Also, most BD players have HDMI and digital audio outputs these says so if you have a stereo system or HD TV, that might be a consideration.

Fuskie
Who is not watching the No Hockey League and hasn't all season...

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 822 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/30/2012 9:27 PM
Yes, our Roku gets me Netflix access. In fact that's about all we use it for.

We do have an HD TV. Are you saying a Blu-Ray player would be better than a DVD player for that reason alone? Even if we use DVD disks?
DVD players don't have HDMI? But Blu-Ray players do? I just want to make sure I'm understanding your point.

Thanks again.
RB
(NHL - No Hockey League - LOL - sorry if I brought up a sensitive subject. Frankly I'm almost done with the NHL also).

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 823 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 5/30/2012 9:37 PM
Yes, HDMI is a higher quality video/audio signal than S-Video or component A/V.

Fuskie
Who notes that classic Disney animation released on Blu-ray looks incredible on an HD TV...

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 824 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 6/12/2012 4:20 PM
Hi Fuskie,

Do you know anything about the internal workings of a DVD player? Like what would make it suddenly not accept many DVD's? As of late, it rejects about half the DVD's I put in it, weather ones I bought from Amazon or rented from Netflix.

Anyway, I'm going to go shopping for a new one. Some of the features I'm going to ask about are the following. If there is anything else in particular I should ask, I'd appreciate your input.

1. Takes multiple disks
2. Memory to find last place played on each disk
3. HDMI outputs
4. Plays Blu-Ray as well as DVD's (not sure I'll head into Blu-Ray or not, but if it's not that more expensive, might as well have one that plays both, right?
5. A real long shot, but one that has a built in VHS also.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
RB

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 825 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 6/12/2012 6:15 PM
I've never used a DVD player with multiple discs, but I do think you should go ahead with a BD player w/HDMI. Unless you need a new VHS player, I wouldn't bother with that. The cost isn't worth the tech. If you have access to it, go onto ConsumerReports.org or CNet and research players. Find out what's recommended, what's a reasonable price, know which features are important and which ones are expensive add-ons. Then armed with information, go into a store or search online for the make and model you've already figured out you want.

Fuskie
Who knows nothing about what makes DVD players tick...

Author: RBMunkin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 826 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 6/21/2012 2:34 PM
I didn't want to make a snap decision, considering all the features to choose from and understand, and the research I need to do. So for now I just got this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0080H77PQ/ref=oh_details_o...

For the price, what the heck. And it's working okay so far.

It even has "Multi-Disc Resume" feature. How does that work? How the heck does it know where I left off on a disk I took out, replaced another disk, but the first back in, etc? It must have to "write" a "tag" or something to the disk, but I thought commercial DVD's couldn't be written to!

RB

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 827 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 6/21/2012 2:42 PM
Recommendations: 1
It even has "Multi-Disc Resume" feature. How does that work? How the heck does it know where I left off on a disk I took out, replaced another disk, but the first back in, etc? It must have to "write" a "tag" or something to the disk, but I thought commercial DVD's couldn't be written to!

I'd imagine the disc has something like a volume label or other unique identifying alpha-numeric data. The player just reads that into a memory slot, and stores the bookmark with it. Next time the disc is inserted, it looks up the bookmark associated with whatever ID it uses for that disc. If there is none, it would start at the beginning. No need or ability to write to the disc, if it already has a unique identifier.

Richard

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 828 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 6/21/2012 4:18 PM
That's correct, each disc has a serial number and the DVD player has persistent memory.

Fuskie
Who hopes the DVD player works well for you...

Author: mschmit Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 829 of 886
Subject: Re: Multiple disk DVD players Date: 6/22/2012 4:30 PM
There is a micro bar code on the hub of each disc. Each title could have all the same codes for all discs mass produced...or they could be unique, based on the spec for this. But even without this code the software could read the directory on the disc and do a checksum or something to get a unique ID for each disc.

Mike

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement