Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have been attending school in Maryland for the past four years, while retaining my New Jersey residency. To complicate matters I work in Virginia. Now I have been paying MD taxes in 2000, which is around 6.6%, as opposed to New Jersey's 2.5% or so. My question is should I even be paying MD taxes, since I am neither a resident nor working there? I entered my Maryland address on my W-4 when I started working, not knowing which state I should enter. Can I recover the difference in taxes I paid in MD to what I should have paid in NJ, or is there some stipulation about actually living in the state, while not an actual resident? This will hopefully be easier when I graduate in May and move out of MD :)

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.