Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: glazo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120796  
Subject: multiple state taxes Date: 2/27/2000 2:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I live in the state of Kansas but I also have earnings from Missouri
Do I have to pay state taxes to misouri from my total agi or just the part that I made from Missouri?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TheBadger Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30191 of 120796
Subject: Re: multiple state taxes Date: 2/27/2000 2:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Generally speaking (because I am unfamiliar with Kansas & Missouri) you should:

1. File a state return for your state of residency (Kansas) including 100% of your income, irrespective of where earned.

2. File in each and every other non-residency state in which you have "nexus". Nexus is sometimes differently defined however, entering a state & earning a wage there clearly qualifies. When filing in a non-residency state you would typically file as a "non-resident" & only declare the income directly derived from that state. On this basis you would likely file a non-resident tax return for 1999 in Missouri.

3. Typically, the following year you can take a credit on your resident return for foriegn state taxes paid the prior year; e.g. on your 2000 Kansas return there will be some form of credit apportionment / computation form that will give you 100% or some lesser percentage credit for taxes paid the prior year to Missouri.

TheBadger

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 30199 of 120796
Subject: Re: multiple state taxes Date: 2/27/2000 3:07 PM
<< I live in the state of Kansas but I also have earnings from Missouri
Do I have to pay state taxes to misouri from my total agi or just the part that I made from Missouri? >>

You'll file in Missouri as a nonresident and pay tax only on your Missouri source income. On your Kansas return you include all income, and you'll get a credit based on Missouri tax paid. See page 15 of the Kansas instructions.

Phil Marti
Tax Preparer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement