Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey All,

My 22 yo college student worked a 5-6 week tutoring program at Penn State this summer and then received a W-2 for $700 from the sponsoring company (Summer Study Programs Inc) which is located in Melville, NY. She didn't make enough to come anywhere close to owing anything on her Fed or NC return (completed through TT).

She is a full time student, resident in NC, claimed as my dependent and files as single. Besides filing a NC State return, do I need to also file a NY State return for her?

If I do, I (googled NY forms and) downloaded one titled "IT-203 for Nonresident and Part-Year Resident"...would this be the one I need to fill out?

I would normally just do it all through TT, but I hate to pay $50 for an extra state form that I don't need. Also, I really hate to fill it out manually if it isn't needed.....I don't think this is the time for me to learn to use Tax Tables (by comparing NY stuff to her Federal return) and learn to do things by the pencil and paper method..

many thanks in advance for answers..

(yeah, guess I'm cheaper than I should be)
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.