Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I asked this question a few months ago, but I wasn't specific enough, so I just wanted to make sure I'm on the right page...

I'm a permanent MA resident. I worked there from Jan-Jun as a W2 employee.

I then became an independent contractor doing temporary work in WI. I worked for clinics and hospitals in WI. The clinics and hospitals payed my temp agency (located in UT) and the temp agency paid me.

The 1099-MISC Form that I received has the payer's address as UT.

Where do I pay my state taxes?

I'm planning to file as a full year resident in MA. I would think that I would file as a non-resident in WI and deduct the WI tax I pay on my MA form. Does that sound right?

Thanks for your consideration!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.