Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
All -

Have a problem which would seem to be very basic, but I cannot seem to find the answer anywhere, and would appreciate help.

My wife is a self employed part-time relief veterinarian and is paid on a "1099 basis." As such, in the past we have filed schedule C, deducted her business expenses, etc.

The complication this year is that she had to pay to renew her license, and that renewal is for a 3 year renewal. Does this entire cost get deducted as a business expense this year (as we are cash basis taxpayers), or does it get spread out over the three years? And where can I find this info in the IRS forms, as I have not been able to find it.

Like I said, seems like I should have been able to find out this info on my own, but I struck out.

Thank you for any and all help.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.