UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734568  
Subject: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/5/2013 12:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/04/16352612-weve-los...

The homicide rate in the city of Detroit continued a grim upward trend in 2012, hitting its highest peak in nearly two decades, officials said Thursday.

“We’ve just lost respect for each other; we’ve lost respect for life,” Bing said. “I don’t want to say that you can forget about this generation or the generation before us, but if we’re going to solve the problem, we’ve got to get into the heads and the minds and the hearts of our young people, and it’s going to take all of us to do that.”

How's that gun-free zone stuff working out for ya?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 664380 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/5/2013 12:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 23
Given the evidence, I would say the problem is actually pretty easily solved.

What do the cities with the greatest gun violence have in common?

Democrats! We have to outlaw Democrats!

Author: 2828 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 664382 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/5/2013 12:38 PM
Recommendations: 0
Given the evidence, I would say the problem is actually pretty easily solved.

What do the cities with the greatest gun violence have in common?

-------------------------------------
....but then who would do all the emoting and caring?

Author: 307wolverine Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 664385 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/5/2013 12:41 PM
Recommendations: 1

And phony outraging?

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 664387 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/5/2013 12:46 PM

And phony outraging?

And all of the hating of America?

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 664482 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/5/2013 8:10 PM
-------------------------------------

If there's nobody to do the caring, nobody is going to care. :-)

(And we can leave the emoting to toddlers and teenagers, where it belongs.)

Author: isawbones Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 664487 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/5/2013 8:47 PM
Recommendations: 2
More Americans have died in Chicago in 2012 than in Afghanistan.

It think the only logical next step is to pull Americans out of Chicago.

Author: JediGALT Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 664515 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/5/2013 10:55 PM
Those Old White Males in Detroit and Chicago are out killing again.

I wonder if the prisons are showing Ozzie and Harriet these days?

Something tells me, that's not the sitcom of choice for today's prison population of violent criminals.

I'll say no more.

JediG

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 664860 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/7/2013 8:30 AM
To be fair there's no gun ban in Detroit per se. Not that the officials there wouldn't love to enact one but they can't per Michigan law. Michigan law does, however, require all handguns be registered. I imagine a lot of those shootings involved handguns. Once again I'm at a loss as to how registering handguns reduces their use in crime... doesn't seem to matter at all in fact. It's almost as if registering them has nothing to do with crime reduction...

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665061 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/7/2013 10:31 PM

It
[sic] think the only logical next step is to pull Americans out of Chicago.

Well, this American has no plans to leave.

-andrew, living in Chicago since 1995 and hasn't been shot at yet... he must be doing something wrong

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665062 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/7/2013 10:35 PM
To be fair there's no gun ban in Detroit per se. Not that the officials there wouldn't love to enact one but they can't per Michigan law. Michigan law does, however, require all handguns be registered. I imagine a lot of those shootings involved handguns. Once again I'm at a loss as to how registering handguns reduces their use in crime... doesn't seem to matter at all in fact. It's almost as if registering them has nothing to do with crime reduction...

Last night I read an article about Detroit's 2012 homicide statistics and I almost fainted. 412 murders in Detroit in 2012. More than four-fifths as many murders in sheer numbers as Chicago -- in a city with one-fourth the population!

-andrew, wondering why Chicago gets such a bad rap from the media when there are so many US cities with a higher per capita murder rate

Author: LordFoolman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665067 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/7/2013 10:48 PM

It [sic] think the only logical next step is to pull Americans out of Chicago.

Well, this American has no plans to leave.

-andrew, living in Chicago since 1995 and hasn't been shot at yet... he must be doing something wrong

----------------------

Well the Baron of Sealand lives in a nice high rise in a nice part of town. I know I've been to the area. (g)

I've also visited Chicago 3 times. Once in 1995, in 2006 and in 2011 when I met up with Andrew. These were nice parts of town. I was safe.

Had I been to the projects in the south, it'd have been a Different story. That's where 80-90% of the violent crimes occur.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665095 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/8/2013 7:30 AM
Last night I read an article about Detroit's 2012 homicide statistics and I almost fainted. 412 murders in Detroit in 2012. More than four-fifths as many murders in sheer numbers as Chicago -- in a city with one-fourth the population!

One-fourth and falling, not only because of the murders either. Really, there's no reason to choose to live in Detroit. Crime (violent crime!) is rampant. Cops don't respond to some calls at all, others you'll wait hours for them. Your insurance rates will be through the roof. Housing values are crap (you can buy houses in Detroit for $1!). There are barely any grocery stores in the city, there are no malls and what entertainment venues there are can be just as easily visited from the suburbs as from the city itself.

I suppose attending Wayne State University is a somewhat legitimate reason to live downtown... though there are plenty of better schools in the state in far safer locations (UofM, MSU, Hillsdale, Oakland U all come to mind). In fact my sister was accepted at WSU but my father insists that she can't go there... he was a Batallion Chief for the Detroit Fire Dept. when he retired so it isn't like he doesn't know the city inside and out. He doesn't want his daughter studying in the city because it's too dangerous.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665096 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/8/2013 7:38 AM
I've also visited Chicago 3 times. Once in 1995, in 2006 and in 2011 when I met up with Andrew. These were nice parts of town. I was safe.

I've only been to Chicago once in my life... in 1995 when I was visiting DePaul U. I did very well on my LSAT and as a result got a stack of literature from universities across the land (really, the stack was several feet high when all was said and done!) and something about DePaul caught my eye so the family and I went out and traipsed around the campus on a tour. It was nice enough, though in the end I didn't apply there. In fact the only two places I ended up applying were UofD Mercy and UofM (and UofM never sent me anything... I had to search them out to apply). I got into both, picked UofM obviously and the rest is history.

So I've spent all of five hours in Chicago in my life. And, sad but true, that's as far west as I've been in my life, the only time I've been in a timezone besides the Eastern in fact. Not that I eschew travel but it's a luxury I can't afford really.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 665246 of 734568
Subject: Re: Murder Rates Spike in Detroit and Chicago Date: 1/8/2013 7:26 PM
Really, there's no reason to choose to live in Detroit.
Housing values are crap (you can buy houses in Detroit for $1!).

And if there's no reason to choose to live there, that price is too high.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (15) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement