Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MetalDecathlete Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: Re: I have officially arrived! Date: 2/18/2014 12:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Murray
Probably due in large part to the exceptional market returns since the 2009 inauguration...more than 18% per year for the S&P.

Ha. Very funny.

I prefer to chalk it up to DW and I willing to sacrifice and significantly LBOM's for 2 decades, mostly on one income, so we could put an average of about 25% of our income towards asset building vehicles. I started off putting away 20% of our income right after my 1st job with a 401k. In the late 90's, when I should have been putting money away, we got McMansion fever and put nothing away for 5 years until we wised up and sold it. Dumb!

It was not until 2001, right about the time I found REHP board and intercst's website that I put things in high gear, putting away 40% of our income at one point.

In 2007, I sectioned off about 1/3 my investments and started trading stocks within a taxable account and also some within an IRA. No day trading. I average about 10-15 trades per year. I had a few spectacular years and a few really bad ones. 2013 was my breakaway year, achieving a total 250% gain. 2014 is still building as I have achieved almost 20% so far. I'm slowly selling my shares and getting more conservative as I shift into FIRE mode. As many people have said in the past, "you only need to get rich once!". <g>

I am forever grateful to intercst and the people like him I've associated with on the FIRE boards since 2001.

Metal
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement