UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: arrete Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 756655  
Subject: Music - the Blues Date: 10/6/2012 11:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Maybe I can lure even RS in with that title.

So. I tangentially mentioned the blues to my dulcimer teacher and he got really excited and so now I'm learning stuff. So far I've learned about the 12 bar blues. I know NOTHING about the blues, except what I learned in Adventures in Babysitting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve-bar_blues

I asked him about what would be examples of blues so I could look for some to play, and he said they were more a way of playing than specific songs. And that I should look at Rhapsody and see if I could get some free time. They have lots of blues by category.
http://www.rhapsody.com/#genre/blues

But they cost money. $9.99/month for downloading to 1 mobile device. 14.99 for downloading to 3 mobile devices. I'm signing up for the cheaper one - you get 2 weeks free, and you can bail at that point if you want. You can download to your PC and other stuff under both plans.

Still, you can listen on an iPod or Mp3 player or your computer or whatever.
http://www.rhapsody.com/what-is-rhapsody/what-is-rhapsody.ht...

This is all besides the point, though. I'm looking for recs of stuff to listen to that maybe I can find on Youtube. Blues is a lot harder than you'd think. My homework for the week is to learn O Susanna, first as a straight blues rhythm, then with the melody offset a tad here and there (eighth-note for those in the know). I can do boogie-woogie fine on the piano. I hope that helps me some.

So much for my stream of consciousness. You all have and suggestions?

arrete
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement