UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: beyondfabricatio Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75802  
Subject: mutual fund recomm please Date: 10/9/2007 9:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I'm looking for mutual fund(s) with high returns and with medium risk. I'm retired looking to boost my income. I have some funds in CSCO stock which I'm thinking about unloading, the stock does not move much these days.

thanks.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Hawkwin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59531 of 75802
Subject: Re: mutual fund recomm please Date: 10/10/2007 10:28 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
You are likely going to need to give us more than just "medium" risk as a qualification.

What is your age?
What yield/rate are you looking for from the fund? Does it matter if it is taxable, tax free, or dividends?
What percentage of your total holdings will this position be?

Author: mrparrotfez Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59534 of 75802
Subject: Re: mutual fund recomm please Date: 10/10/2007 11:22 AM
The combination of goals confuses me. You want high returns but medium risk, ordinarily not correlated. You're retired and want income, so you seek dividend payout. You don't want to keep CSCO because it doesn't move much, but you don't make reference to its dividend at all. So other than "I'd like to make money" (true of us all here), I don't really know where to begin advising you.

If you are retired and want to boost your income by accepting more risk, that is your prerogative and good luck to you. I hope you are only doing this with a small portion of your retirement, though. You could probably boost your income, accepting significant risk, by buying closed-end bond funds (including junk bond funds) that pay monthly dividends. Some are trading at attractive premiums to NAV right now. As for CSCO, I don't know the stock at all, what dividend it pays, etc., but it doesn't sound like it's consonant with your goals at this stage.

Author: PKnudsen Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59564 of 75802
Subject: Re: mutual fund recomm please Date: 10/10/2007 9:37 PM
ADVDX. Yields over 10%. Best for an IRA since the dividends are taxable otherwise.

PEMFX. Catch emerging market returns.

VGHCX. Catch healthcare returns. (Note: 25,000 minimum to start.)

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 59579 of 75802
Subject: Re: mutual fund recomm please Date: 10/11/2007 11:06 AM
CSCO is not an income producing stock -- it is a growth stock. It has done very well in the last year and I expect it to do well in the next year. You post is confusing to me. You say you want to boost income -- so are retired? If not, are you living beyond your means? I get the sense you need to spend a little time learning and less time "investing".

Gordon
Atlanta

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement