Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have a mutual fund that I've had for 2 years that has about $1000 of dividents coming this december 15. Question is: Can I gift this mutual fund to my daughter (2 years old) and this way the income would show under her SSN? Since she does not have to pay taxes on the first $700 worth of pasive income that would be very beneficial. If this is true, then how would I go about transferring this fund to her name? Do I call the Mutual fund company and tell them to change the name on the account? Any info would be great.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.