Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21259  
Subject: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 5/31/2004 3:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 28
This is my ten thousandth post to The Motley Fool Discussion Boards. In honor of the occassion, and for lack of anything better to do, I've gone back over my records and come up with some interesting statistics, along with a few personal observations.

I joined TMF on January 20, 2000, or about 52 months ago. That works out to an average of about 6.4 post/day. I don't remember exactly when I started posting on a regular or frequent basis, but I'm sure that more recently I average something like 20-30 posts every day.

I have 6,694 Recs for my posts, and my current Recs/Post Ratio is at 4.80. I've never either grasped or put much stock in the concept of Recs. My most highly Rec'd Posts generally didn't seem like anything special to me, while my personal favorites often go virtually ignored in the formal recognition department. Go figure?

As for Favorite Fools, I have 90 names on my Profile Page. The Profile also shows that I'm listed on 102 others' Favorites List. There are 50 names that correlate. Some of the names are now long gone from TMF Boards, some are missed, some forgotten, and others were never known. It was surprising to see that I appeared on the Favorites of several people who have never posted a message!

I don't want to slight anybody, but I think I can safely state that out of the 90 names on my list TMFRavynous and ChocoKitty are my Favorite Favorites. Another dozen or so people are tied for Third Place, thirty or forty tied for Fourth, and everyone else came in Fifth; even those who've never posted a message.

A look at my Favorite Boards is revealing. Not surprisingly, those dealing with my two favorite subjects, cars and cooking, take up the top four spots and account for over 70% of my 10,000 total Posts. The Gestalt of Cooking ranks number one with 2,459 posts, (2,460 after I post this message), Recipes/Cooking is second with 2,044, Buying and Maintaining a Car is third with 2,037 and Cars and Drivers a ways back in fourth with 578.

Rounding out my Top Twelve Boards, and compromsing all boards with over 100 posts, are: Cafe L'Eff - 439, Moving Out of the Fast Lane - 432, Help With This Stupid Computer - 310, Aspiring Writers - 218, Minnesota Twins Fans - 143, What to Wear - 134, Improve the Fool - 128 and Eclectic Library -124 which all together compromise 20% of the total.

The next twenty boards had between 10 and 92 posts each, for an additional 8%, and 68 boards had less than 10 posts apiece to make up the final 200 (2%) of my posts.

I hope I've given as much good advice as I received, and provided at least as many laughs as I got from reading messages. I'm sure I've produced at least as much confusion and frustration as I've dealt with, even considering I purposely avoid the most contentious discussions.

Some of my favorite threads have been the SB Trivia Contest of August 2002 and the infamous Pound Cake Battle of November 02, both on the Gestalt Board. I also had a lot of fun writing the ten part Counter Culture MBA Program on Moving Out of the Fast Lane in July of 03.

There were so many other exchanges and debates I've enjoyed that I could never list them all. I do have to mention in closing the one particular episode last Summer that wouldn't have been possible even a few years ago, before we had the internet and forums like The Motley Fool Discussion Board.

Many hundreds, or probably even thousands of us, all over this Country and around the World, a vast majority of whom will never know each other through anything other than this electronic medium, experienced a joint epiphany (from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary: 3 a (1) : a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something (2) : an intuitive grasp of reality through something (as an event) usually simple and striking (3) : an illuminating discovery b : a revealing scene or moment ) the morning last summer when we logged in and read this message: http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=19269019

My thanks to Tom and David Gardner and the Motley Fool Staff for providing us with this unique site, and to everyone who participates in the discussions here.

SB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GeeBeeNC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14137 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 12:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
Congratulations on reqaching the 10k milestone. I was suprised to see this announcement on the Cars and Drivers Board. I expected to see it on Gestalt of Cooking.

GeeB

Author: GeeBeeNC Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14138 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 12:25 PM
Gee I'm reasding so fast I didn't even realize I changed boards.
Anyway hats off to Steve.

Author: TMFRavynous Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14139 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 1:14 PM
I hope I've given as much good advice as I received, and provided at least as many laughs as I got from reading messages.

Of this there can be no doubt.

Congratulations and many thanks for all of your wonderful contributions.

Cheers.

RAv

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14140 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 1:27 PM
SB, congrats and many thanks on your posts. You've contributed more to the TMF community than you will ever know.

CK

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14141 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 1:48 PM
Duuuuuuuude, you just made Post of the Day!

CK

Author: dianagram Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14142 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 2:19 PM
Congrats on your milestone, and thanks for your insightful musings over the time I've been a Fool.

One question .... how did you get the totals of how many posts you've made on each board ... you didn't go to each board and count them, did you?

Diane

Author: FogChicken Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14143 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 2:20 PM
Duuuuuuuude, you just made Post of the Day!

I think we need a recipe (or at least a Gestalt concept of one) in honor. What about POTD shrimp?

(Congrats SB)

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14144 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 2:20 PM
RE: CK: "you just made Post of the Day!"

Aw shucks!

SB (false modest)

Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14145 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 2:22 PM
Recommendations: 3
Given that SB said "aw shucks" to this honor, my vote is for oysters.

CK

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14146 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 2:31 PM
RE: Diane: "how did you get the totals of how many posts you've made on each board"

Go to your Profile. Remove yourself from your Favorites. Go back to the Boards and then back to your Profile again. Add yourself back to your Favorites.

Now go to your Favorite Fools and check youeself. It will give you a sortable list of every board you've ever posted to!

Oddly enough, it omits the last Board you visited though, so remember to add that back in.

SB (discovered most of this by accident)

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14147 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 2:34 PM
RE: CK: "my vote is for oysters"

Okay, use oysters. I don't care for them, but I do enjoy a good pun.

SB (what if I'd have said "Gee Whiz"?)

Author: nmckay Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14148 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 2:45 PM
Recommendations: 2
I thought you preferred velveeda to cheez whiz?

nmckay

Author: TMFRavynous Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14149 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 3:51 PM
Recommendations: 2
you just made Post of the Day!

Hmmm, I wonder if I can sell my last 3 SRHCB made beast treats on eBay? Nah, 'Kita has already figured out where the bag is, if I get near it she races across the room and sits looking up at me, tongue lolling. I would never get them photographed, much less into an envelope without her knowing.

I was going to suggest everyone post a favorite SB post or recipe or a recipe dedicated to him. When I realized it would be damn difficult for me to do so, and comparatively and cyberly speaking, I think I know the man fairly well, I realized it was unfair. Of course you're welcome to do so.

However when a man can give you descriptions on working buffalo curd mozzarella (and let you know the whey is good for baking bread), is well known for his quest for the perfect meatloaf, is as willing to admit failure as success (think coffee can bread), and is incredibily generous (raise your hand if you've won one of his impropteau contests and received a fabulous prize), it really is hard to pick a favorite moment.

However, in the future, June 1 will be known as National TMF SRHCB Day.

RAv
Plotting for the 2nd annual day already. ;)

Author: nggCatgoyle Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14150 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/1/2004 6:20 PM
Congratulations on reaching post # 10,000, SB, and for having it lauded as POTD! I'm pleased that you chose this board as site of the event.

As Gestalt Hostess, I thank you or all you've done in the last three years to help make this board a success and fun place for Fools to spend a little time! You've come a long way since http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=15044393!

;-D

Cori

Author: topdoggg Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14152 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/2/2004 7:58 AM
Congratulations, my darling SB!

TD

Author: SRHCB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14153 of 21259
Subject: Re: My 10,000th TMF Post Date: 6/2/2004 10:38 AM
Recommendations: 1
RE: Everyone: "Congratulations"

Thank you. But just because the actual "day" of my Post of the Day is over doesn't mean you have to quit offering lavish praise. I have a very high threshhold of embarassment.

I felt it was only proper to put my 10k message on this Board not only because it's my most often utilized venue, but in that I consider it to be my "Home Board"; the one I look to first every morning in hopes of seeing several new messages to be read.

This is one of the most interesting and unusual of all TMF's boards I've visited. It's rare for a Social Board to make Post of the Day, (excepting LBYM, which is more anti-Social in my opinion), and I hope a few more TMF'ers might express an interest in "Gestalt" as a result of my efforts.

Incidentally, in the course of researching my posting statisics I noticed that I'm responsible for approximately one out of every six posts ever made here! Is there such thing as a Board Hog?

SB (*oink oink*)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement