Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Re: Cost basis from a spin off Date: 2/16/2013 9:55 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My 1099-B reports a sale of stock (due to a merger). It lists the proceeds but not the cost basis. The stocks were originated from a Merck spin-off in 2003 (Express Scripts Holdings).

I see you're new in these parts, so I'll grant dispensation from the part of this exercise where you go stand in a corner and beat yourself over the head with a 2x4 until I'm satisfied you've learned your lesson. I'll just state the moral:

THE TIME TO DEAL WITH MERGERS/SPLITS/SPINOFFS IS WHEN THEY HAPPEN!

That way you don't find yourself years down the road asking once simple but now difficult questions like

Is my cost basis the value of the stock the day I received it?

Beats me. Each of these events has its own rules which are fully explained in the literature everyone gets and most ignore when the event happens. At least it's not the anti-trust breakup of AT&T, so we have something to be grateful for.

The best starting point is Shareholder Relations. If they can't help you, maybe someone on the Fool's discussion board for the stock can.

Also, as a result of the merger last year, I received cash in lieu. Is there a cost basis for this, or is it just zero?

It has a basis, and at least there's a better chance of quickly getting your hands on the information you need to calculate it. If you can't find your literature, again, shareholder relations.

Last annoying tax question (sorry, and thanks if you're still reading): Would be the date of acquisition be the day I bought the original stock (pre-spin-off and subsequent merger)? Or is it the day I got the cash in lieu?

Those are the two likely candidates.

Whenever one of these events happens drag out your purchase confirmation(s), pencil and abacus and figure out the effect on what you owned and what you acquired. Make all the appropriate notes about the effect on the original stock on its confirmation, and create a new "confirmation" for anything you acquired. It takes a little time, which is why most people don't bother, but it takes a lot less time that it's going to take you now to reconstruct this stuff. Good luck.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement