Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 33
My 92 year old father filed a quitclaim deed... My brothers and I did not know...

Yeah, my 90-yr-old father is also very confident of his decisions, which he makes unilaterally and in secret.

Kind of OT:

Not knowing OP's exact situation, but just as a PSA to anyone lurking who has elderly parents: visit often! There's so much info that parents won't volunteer, but that you'll notice if you're there enough and are paying attention.

When I saw my father's bills piling up, I offered to help with the check-writing. Over the years, that segued into my handling all his finances, which involved not only the day-to-day stuff, but also delicately untangling some stupid stuff he'd done. The checkbook is still at his house, and he can (and does) use it to get cash now and then for his poker games and paying the lawn care guy, but he's been happy to turn over the less interesting tasks to me, bit by bit. Similarly, I noticed that he was becoming more and more lackadaisical about taking his pills, and recently got him MedMinder, an electronic pillbox, that texts me when he misses a dose, so I can call him that day and not find out a week later that there's been a problem. (I apply my "visit often" advice to myself by visiting about once every other week. More often as needed, but when I have to visit more, I consider that a problem to be solved.)

Eldercare is like childcare:
- Despite similarities within an age group, each one is an individual, and care should be customized to what s/he personally needs/likes/wants at any given stage.
- Things can change quickly, and it's easier to recognize and respond to what's going on if you're already familiar with the scenario, than if you find yourself jumping in suddenly when there's a crisis.

OK, that's my rant/vent for the day. Off my soapbox now.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement