Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 120800  
Subject: Re: Capital Gains Tax Liabilities-HELP!!!! Date: 4/9/2002 3:09 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
My accountant found that my ex rolled over $78,000 cap. gains from one home that was sold in 1986 into the rental townhouse in southern MD that I just got as part of a divorce settlement. My lawyer said, "oh, well" and refused to have my ex pay half of the $30,000 tax bill before our final court date.

I won't jump in the middle of your property settlement, but if you had an accountant advising your lawyer, I would think that the tax situation would have been considered in the overall property settlement. It sounds like that's blood under the bridge in your case, but it's useful for lurkers.

Now I understand that I may have a few options to possibly make the tax "ouch" hurt less. The townhouse is worth $150,000 with an $88,000 mortgage. The equity would be great if I didn't owe the $30,000!

I'm not sure where you're coming up with this $30,000; I suspect it's considerably more. What's your basis in the property? (It's basically what you paid for it in '86 minus the $78,000 deferred gain.) $150,000 minus the basis is the taxable gain on sale. (I assume we're not talking about your residence here.)

1. If I sell now I would lose most of the equity due to the $30,000 already owed and due to the current cap. gains that I would also owe on the property.

2. If I live in it for 2 years, then my cap. gains is reduced.

True. Unless the market goes haywire, the only taxable gain you'd have would be depreciation allowed or allowable since May 1997.

3. If I keep it until I am 55 (8 yrs. from now), I can take advantage of not having to pay capital gains...correct? Would I be able to get out of the old $30,000 cap. gains debt also?

This is the third time today that I've come across someone who knows about the over 55 one-time $125,000 exclusion, which was repealed in 1997, but doesn't know anything about the current law, which has been in effect for almost 7 years. Get a copy of IRS Publication 523 or check this board's FAQ and learn. I'm a little worried about that accountant who didn't tell you current law, too.

4. I own a piece of retirement property in FL that will be paid off in 2006. Can I roll the old $30,000 liability and whatever the new cap. gains would be, into the loan that I will then get to build a house?

No.

What would you do to ease the tax liabilities if you were in this situation??? I have been qualified to refinance it and then go live in it or I have to have it sold by 12-02.

On the surface it looks like the only way to turn this property into an asset rather than a liability is to live in it for 2 years. As noted before, assuming a sale price under $250,000, that would leave you with only some depreciation recapture as taxable income.

I urge you to get some competent advice on this. I'm making a lot of assumptions here.

Phil Marti
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement