Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: topdog3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7630  
Subject: My Aging Skin Date: 11/13/2002 9:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Today I went to a two hour seminar geared to women about how to care for their aging skin and look as good as long as possible. I expected to hear a lot about protecting myself from UV rays, not smoking, what makeup is better than others, drinking water, and what diet and exercise can do for the skin.

What I heard, instead was two hours of chemical facial peels, laser surgery and mechanical abrasion, eyelid tucks and face lifts. Botox, of course, was mentioned too.

I have to admit that I am disappointed in the way the topic was handled. Is this what American womanhood had come to, chemical peels and face lifts in a vain attempt to hang on to our youth? Damnitall, why aren't older, mature women sexy? Why have we bought this whole notion that we must be without wrinkles to be attractive? Are we that insecure?

I sat there and listened to the speaker talk about all these really quite invasive procedures and watched women in the audience taking notes and nodding their heads as they whispered with their neighbors about eyelid tucks.

I don't want to sound all "high horse"; I've seen the changes over the last ten years in my face. I've wished there was something I could do to prolong my skin. But, I don't know if I could ever have surgery. It seems so.....I don't know, wrong or cheaty.

I would love to hear back from some of you. What would you be willing to do to prolong your skin's appearance?

Curious,
TD3
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement