Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: topdog3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7630  
Subject: My Aging Skin Date: 11/13/2002 9:25 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Today I went to a two hour seminar geared to women about how to care for their aging skin and look as good as long as possible. I expected to hear a lot about protecting myself from UV rays, not smoking, what makeup is better than others, drinking water, and what diet and exercise can do for the skin.

What I heard, instead was two hours of chemical facial peels, laser surgery and mechanical abrasion, eyelid tucks and face lifts. Botox, of course, was mentioned too.

I have to admit that I am disappointed in the way the topic was handled. Is this what American womanhood had come to, chemical peels and face lifts in a vain attempt to hang on to our youth? Damnitall, why aren't older, mature women sexy? Why have we bought this whole notion that we must be without wrinkles to be attractive? Are we that insecure?

I sat there and listened to the speaker talk about all these really quite invasive procedures and watched women in the audience taking notes and nodding their heads as they whispered with their neighbors about eyelid tucks.

I don't want to sound all "high horse"; I've seen the changes over the last ten years in my face. I've wished there was something I could do to prolong my skin. But, I don't know if I could ever have surgery. It seems so.....I don't know, wrong or cheaty.

I would love to hear back from some of you. What would you be willing to do to prolong your skin's appearance?

Curious,
TD3
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Isabellalapanna Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4681 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/13/2002 10:28 PM
Recommendations: 0
I don't want to sound all "high horse"; I've seen the changes over the last ten years in my face. I've wished there was something I could do to prolong my skin. But, I don't know if I could ever have surgery. It seems so.....I don't know, wrong or cheaty.

I would love to hear back from some of you. What would you be willing to do to prolong your skin's appearance?

Curious,
TD3

Drink water. That's about it. And I am not thinking "oh man, I gotta prolong my skin" when I drink it, but I am thinking, jesus I have so much crap in my system that I need to drink a lot of water to dilute it.

I couldn't even consider any plastic anything because it would be so way down on my list of priorities money-wise. (Although I know it matters enough to a lot of people because they go in debt to do it.)

But assuming that money weren't an issue, I dunno. I think people wif cut up faces kind of look like aliens and it scares me some. I kind of feel like I earned my laugh lines and concentration lines and frowny upsidedownlife lines.

If I could go back and actually be 10 years younger with stuff I know now and comfort I have with myself now, well, that would be a different story. But just yanking and scraping my skin isn't going to do that.

So, drink water. That's about it for me.

Author: topdog3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4682 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/13/2002 10:53 PM
But assuming that money weren't an issue, I dunno. I think people wif cut up faces kind of look like aliens and it scares me some. I kind of feel like I earned my laugh lines and concentration lines and frowny upsidedownlife lines.

Okay, you and I are sort of at the same place with this. So, to add a further wrinkle to the discussion (no pun intended), what if you had access to products that were natural and inexpensive (unlike the pricey creams and such in the stores) that actually did help your skin a bit. Would you buy/make them? Would you want to use them?

TD3

Author: Isabellalapanna Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4683 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/13/2002 11:21 PM
Okay, you and I are sort of at the same place with this. So, to add a further wrinkle to the discussion (no pun intended), what if you had access to products that were natural and inexpensive (unlike the pricey creams and such in the stores) that actually did help your skin a bit. Would you buy/make them? Would you want to use them?

TD3

My skin is pretty fair and sensitive and anything but mosturizer normal stuff on it burns it and makes it look red and rashy and ick. So it is kind of self defeating to retinol or anything else myself just so I can look like I came out of a burn ward.

just my .02

Author: topdog3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4684 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/13/2002 11:43 PM
My skin is pretty fair and sensitive and anything but mosturizer normal stuff on it burns it and makes it look red and rashy and ick. So it is kind of self defeating to retinol or anything else myself just so I can look like I came out of a burn ward.
just my .02

And I could use something to tighten my skin up a bit. But I don't want to get cut up and I don't want to spend a ton of money on manufactured products that have little or no effect. So, I wonder to myself about making products that might have some effect (maybe little or no effect, but so what, they are no worse than the expensive stuff in the stores) but that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

TD3

Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4685 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 12:34 AM

Wear sunscreen every day - check!

That's it.

-mapletree

Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4686 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 12:36 AM
So, to add a further wrinkle to the discussion (no pun intended), what if you had access to products that were natural and inexpensive (unlike the pricey creams and such in the stores) that actually did help your skin a bit. Would you buy/make them? Would you want to use them?

Woah woah woah here. 'Natural' don't necessarily mean nothing. Especially doesn't mean safe. So maybe that's what we mean? Mild? Safe? Cause there's some pretty nasty stuff out there that's natural.

-mapletree

Author: mapletree7 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4687 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 12:37 AM

Excellent soap: Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser.

It's (get this) very gentle.

-mapletree

Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4688 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 12:42 AM
I like Cetaphil, but prefer Eucerin facial cleanser, followed by Eucerin Face Protective Moisture lotion with SPF 25. Love that stuff.

Author: Isabellalapanna Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4689 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 10:08 AM
I like Cetaphil, but prefer Eucerin facial cleanser, followed by Eucerin Face Protective Moisture lotion with SPF 25. Love that stuff.

When I read that first, fast and dyslexic and puppy like, I thought, oh man, I am not putting urine on my face. I don't care how cheap or gentle it is (which it would not be). I was really afraid this was a whole new madonna drink your urine phase, which I am just not up for now.

I am glad it is just eucerin, whatever that is.

I use a cleanser called soap in the shower. And then either 15 or 40 spf mosturizer (depending on season and how much I am outside)

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4690 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 10:56 AM

I don't know - I thought about the microdermabrasion, but I got a good exfoliating scrub and some glycolic lotion and I think I can put it off.

I don't really have a problem with doing whatever you feel will make you happy, and if aging is that scary then by all means go ahead and be in denial. I'm more concerned about the surgery horror stories, especially wrt the laser stuff.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4692 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 10:59 AM
So, I wonder to myself about making products that might have some effect (maybe little or no effect, but so what, they are no worse than the expensive stuff in the stores) but that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I don't know if it would work for everyone but what I got was Neutrogena Deep Clean. It feels really good and doesn't make my face feel all dried out after.

Author: sofaking6 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4693 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 11:01 AM
I use a cleanser called soap in the shower.

Soap has not touched my face since before puberty. It makes my skin so tight I can't talk. Before I got the Neutrogena and the spendy moisturizer, I hadn't washed my face at all in years and was putting Lubriderm on it a few times a day.

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4694 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 12:17 PM
Recommendations: 3
Soap has not touched my face since before puberty.

Hi y'all! I'm sooooo not a girl, but I hope you'll admit me to the board anyway. Patti can vouch for me.

My puberty was so long ago, I can barely remember it, but I also haven't used soap since then. I use Cetaphil™, both the cleanser and the lotion. I also started using Retin-A™ was back about 15 years ago when it first was publicized. I just use the weakest formula cream as a maintenance now. I also don't wear or need to wear makeup except occasionally.

I just had a meeting with an insurance woman about long term care insurance (now that's an ugly thought) and she had to look up my birthday, which was Tuesday, the day I was at the office. She made my day by going on and on about my age and how she couldn't believe it even though my hair is totally white (I prefer to think of it as platinum). I'm now 69 yrs. old. 8-(

The best thing you can do for your skin is to inherit good skin genes. My mom had pretty skin too. The next thing that helped a lot, since I grew up in the era of French frying my skin in the sun with baby oil mixed with iodine, was that for more than 40 years, I lived in the Cleveland, OH area, where the sun doesn't shine often, even in the summer. For some reason, my face never tanned even though I could finally get tan on the rest of me. I still don't have any wrinkles to speak of. I've had a couple of little basal cell cancers, but none recently. I used to play a lot of golf in the southern sun and I always used a visor and sunscreen.

That's about it........no soap, sunscreen and good genes.

Carol

Author: Starrcrossed Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4695 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 4:05 PM
What would you be willing to do to prolong your skin's appearance?

Naturally I would like to avoid skin cancer...aside from that skin is skin. It is just a husk that protects our muscles and other organs. Everyone has basically the same covering. You are going to end up with wrinkles and liverspots eventually no matter how much money you spend trying to avoid it. Once you learn to accept the fact that there is nothing more surgically that can be done and realize that wrinkles actually give you MORE character, you will look back and wish you'd put that money in a retirement fund.

JMHO

Starr...loves her crowsfeet

Author: topdog3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4696 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 8:37 PM
I don't really have a problem with doing whatever you feel will make you happy, and if aging is that scary then by all means go ahead and be in denial.

Here's an interesting story: My mother was/is a model. Not one of those high priced models, but occasional, local shoots for little stores and such. She has always been quite vain about her appearance and I believe she has had at least 3 full face lifts and two eyelid tucks plus unknown number of lesser procedures. She is quite vague about exactly how many things she has had done or what type of things she has done. I think she knows that I don't approve of the money she has spent on chasing her youth.

See, here's the thing. She doesn't have any money. She lives on credit cards and past due notices and can't pay her electrical bill so one of the kids has to pump some money her direction on a regular basis. She has no savings, no retirement, no investments, no nothing. But, she sure has had enough money to get expensive facelifts.

I have a problem with that.

On top of which, when I look at her now, in her early 70's, she looks, well, in her early 70's. She looks good, but she doesn't look any younger than she really is. So, in the end, what exactly did she pay all that money for? I figure that she must have shelled out over the years, well over $50,000 for facial procedures, and for what?

I see the aging on my face, but given my mother's example, I am tending towards simply taking good care of what I've got and avoiding the knife. I would like to think that a little common sense and good diet, exercise, and proper protection will satisfy.

That, and maybe the occasional ground apricot scrub or strawberry mask...

TD3

Author: Wilsonsjulie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4697 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 9:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
But, I don't know if I could ever have surgery. It seems so.....I don't know, wrong or cheaty.

We are all living so much longer now, that I understand the appeal to look young as long as possible. I saw some plastic surgery shows where the women were really torn about going under the knife. They looked a whole lot better/younger after the healing phase, but a couple said they were still not sure if the cost/pain had been worth it... and weren't sure if they'd do it again. I'd support anyone's decision... either way.

Speaking of wrong: Here's one example of wrong, imo: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/021114/161/2oheh.html

~j

Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4698 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 9:10 PM
Speaking of wrong: Here's one example of wrong, imo: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/021114/161/2oheh.html

He hardly looks human. That is really, really a sad thing.

Patti

Author: ibnana Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4699 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/14/2002 9:14 PM
Here's one example of wrong

SCARY!!!!

Carol

Author: MissAnthrope Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4700 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/15/2002 1:11 PM
Recommendations: 4

I find copious applications of dog saliva work wonders to keep my face looking soft and youthful.

It may help that I feed them regular doses of Botox, phenol, and trichloroacetic and alphahydroxy acids.

Author: sheila727 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4701 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/15/2002 2:34 PM
aside from that skin is skin. It is just a husk that protects our muscles and other organs. Everyone has basically the same covering. You are going to end up with wrinkles and liverspots eventually no matter how much money you spend trying to avoid it.

T'aint that simple. Our skin is the first barrier that that microbes and environmental contaminants run up against, and if that barrier isn't in good shape--dried out, rough, etc--it doesn't work nearly as well to keep things out. Plus, it's an immune system organ, and it's the only immune system organ that has a standing reservoir of the basic elements that jump-start the immune response. The other organs manufacture when needed, but the skin is ready at a micro-second's notice. Anything that leaves your skin at a disadvantage impairs this as well. (One of the problems with unprotected sun exposure is that, in addition to causing DNA damage in your skin cells, it turns off the cells that initiate the immune response that would otherwise destroy damaged cells that aren't successfully repaired by the skin's DNA repair enzymes.)

Speaking of sun protection--SPF doesn't do much. SPF 18 is the absolute minimum, and a sunscreen that combines compounds that absorb UV light (like paba and methoxylcinnamate, etc) with something that physically reflects it (like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide, which are colorless these days) provides much more effective protection.

There are huge individual differences in how our skin responds to the sun, to cold, to irritants and allergens, to our emotions. And some of that changes as we get older, and/or our environment and/or diet changes. We have to learn our own skin, and how best to care for it.

There's a huge amount of garbage on the skin-care shelves--cheap garbage, expensive garbage. And of the good stuff, what works for one doesn't always do the job for someone else.

I have very very sensitive skin, and haven't used soap for a zillion years, not face not body. Aveeno makes some good products. So does Cetaphil. (I use other things, but no time to go into it right now.)
One thing I always do, if a skin care product looks like it would be a great moisturizer or whatever, but it's prices--ask for a sample, enough to last for a week. If I haven't broken out in a week, then it'll be kind to my skin.

Avoid things with glycerin--it draws moisture, but takes it out of the skin rather than restoring it to the skin. (This comes from a dermatologist speaking to writers/reporters last summer.)

At dermatology meetings, no one talks about face lifts and eye tucks any longer. Much less invasive, or non-invasive. It's all skin resurfacing, or filling up from underneath, or botox, etc etc. At that summer meeting, I asked--what about diet, what about exercise????? And what about exercises for the face muscles. I mean, if you can tone your thighs or whatever, the same principle should work for the muscles of your face. I got a kind of mumbled yes, nutrition/exercise are good, I don't know much about face muscle exercises but some people think they're great. But I should have expected that--they want to push the things that bring them patients.

The people whose skin clearly shows the anti-aging work they've had done haven't been to a good dermatologist. It's pretty amazing what can be done nowadays and how totally natural it looks--if you have the $$ AND that's the route you want to take.

Skin's the area I do most of my work in -- which I guess is obvious! (And no, I haven't had any of those procedures done. I just have a few good products--good for my skin,anyway--that I use.)

sheila

Author: Wilsonsjulie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4702 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/17/2002 7:19 AM
One more on michael jackson. Pictures showing his change of appearance over the course of the years. ~j

http://anomalies-unlimited.com/Jackson.html

Author: topdog3 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4703 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/17/2002 9:03 AM
One more on michael jackson. Pictures showing his change of appearance over the course of the years. ~j

Ooooohh (shudder).... I don't think I can even look.

TD3

Author: Bbritts Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4704 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/17/2002 3:45 PM
Recommendations: 11

Curious,
TD3

Nothing. Aging happens...get over it.

Barb

Author: retirecom Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4705 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/18/2002 9:19 AM
http://anomalies-unlimited.com/Jackson.html

*shudder*

Although I did like:
Even the staunch defenders of Michael's sanity have to admit the boy's cheese has slid off his cracker.

heh

RC

Author: MsVeeDub Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4706 of 7630
Subject: Re: My Aging Skin Date: 11/18/2002 1:10 PM

Does anyone else remember when he was a cute & talented black kid?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement