Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BroadwayDan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 265  
Subject: My Best Investment: My Daughter Date: 1/24/2002 10:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
By far the greatest investment I have ever made (or ever will make) was the $500 investment I made in an Education IRA for the co-love of my life, my four year-old daughter, Sally. For anyone who has children, and hasn't opened a similar account, you're cheating yourself of incredible feelings of joy, hope and self-respect, and I hope my contest entry keeps you from making this mistake.

An investment is defined as “the investing of money for profitable returns”. I can't think of a more profitable return than a secure education for my little girl so that she can more fully understand, relate to, experience and one day even improve the world. While this is the most important reason I would give for picking this investment as my favorite, there are other personal reasons as well.

The first is that scraping together this $500 outside of mortgage and car payments, etc. was difficult for my wife and I in 2001. This is because we both suffered the trauma of losing our jobs. But still, we fought hard, took odds jobs – I worked as the Beer Man at the National Finals Rodeo in Vegas and lugged and sold over 1,500 beers! – And we scratched and clawed our way into coming up with the money. Opening that account felt like a mighty, mighty victory.

It's also my favorite investment because it symbolizes a great deal for me. When it comes to money, I've mooched it, squandered it and wasted it on more nonsensical things than I can count. Sweet Lord, I even once purchased something from an infomercial! (They were vacuum hooks that claimed to be strong enough to hold a bowling ball. The ones I bought couldn't hold a ping pong ball and came crashing down, along with everything I'd hung, all over the house right after I'd suctioned them to our walls. Is that a perfect metaphor for a dumb-ass purchase or what? Hoo Ha!) Unlike this impulsive, immature, idiotic, jackassian waste of hard-won sheckles, investing in my daughter's education is all about delayed gratification, fundamental human generosity and basically, all that's good and right about money.

Though I have invested in things that made me significant financial gains, those “profitable returns” pale in comparison to the deeply personal ones I made on this one. That's why I pick opening an Education IRA for my little girl as my favorite investment, and passionately encourage others to make investments just like this one.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement