Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
My brain is dead!!! I have a friend whose mother was her dependent (mother lived with her, collected only $400.00 per month SS and was totally dependent upon my friend.) Her mother died on 4/1/07. Can she still claim her mother as a dependent for 2007? If so, should she place only 3 months living her my friend as the period of time of residency?

Yes, she can claim the mother as a dependent. You don't have to specify the number of months on the tax return. If your software asks for the number of months, enter 12 (or, if it has an input for the date of death, enter 3).

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.