UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: RicsAst Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76080  
Subject: Re: 16 Year old and an IRA Date: 10/20/2000 11:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My broker says they can't have a minor as the owner of an equity account

===================================================

Hi caisprices, I guess the easy answer is that you need to get a different Broker.

I am sure that there are many brokers to choose from. I had not problem with mine. I work with USAA (https://www.usaa.com/). Although they cater to the military for their banking and insurance, their brokerage house is open to the public. They are pricey ($24 per online trade) but I don't trade frequently to make it a big issue…it makes up for the good service.

Anyway, I asked them about setting up IRAs for my kids and they had no problem. The only issue was that I had to sign an account application addendum for establishing of the IRA account by a parent for the benefit of a minor child. This document indemnifies my brokerage company (USAA Investment Management Company) as the custodian and then the classic legalese about suites and liabilities (i.e. they hold you accountable for abiding by the rules). I am sure each brokerage house will have a similar letter to sign.

There may better brokerage houses out there that may cater to your individual needs….shop around and ask specifically about Roth IRAs for your kids.

Hope this helps,

Rics
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Ringing the NASDAQ Bell
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement