Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: aja91 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19361  
Subject: My budgeting technique Date: 5/19/2001 11:15 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
I track all expenses in Quicken. Each time I get paid (twice per month), I "prespend" every dollar into a specific category "pool", such as utilities, debts, investments, charity, auto, and household.

Household expenses are paid with cash - we write a check, divide the proceeds into a special "coupon wallet" we've divided up (groceries, supplies, medicines, clothing, etc). All others are paid by check, or electronically if possible.

The amount that goes into each pool is determined by figuring the bimonthly portion of each expense we will have. For example, if our quarterly auto insurance bill is $300, $50 is set aside in the auto category each paycheck. When the bill arrives, I have $300 "pooled" to pay the bill.

Each pool carries over from pay period to pay period, so, for example, when utility bills are lower during spring and autumn months, a surplus is generated to pay the higher bills during summer and winter.

When a bill is paid, I write the check, record the transaction in Quicken, and deduct the amount of the bill from the balance in the pool.

Since we live below our means, we also have a special "surplus" pool. This is money for any special "off budget" purchases we might plan for during the pay period. Any balance remaining in the surplus pool is put into savings when the next paycheck arrives. (Note that we do budget a minimum savings amount each paycheck as well - this surplus amount is, well, surplus...).

Hope someone finds this useful.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: GALLS93 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5718 of 19361
Subject: Re: My budgeting technique Date: 5/21/2001 2:05 PM
Recommendations: 0
THAT WAS EXCELLENT ADVICE. I JUST GOT QUICKEN AS A GIFT AND I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW BEST TO USE IT. YOUR HELPFUL HINTS CAN HOPEFULLY GET THIS FOOL OFF AND RUNNING.

AS ALWAYS I THANK YOU MY FELLOW FOOL.

GALLS

Author: nmangohig Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5719 of 19361
Subject: Re: My budgeting technique Date: 5/21/2001 2:09 PM
Recommendations: 1
THAT WAS EXCELLENT ADVICE. I JUST GOT QUICKEN AS A GIFT AND I WAS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW BEST TO USE IT. YOUR HELPFUL HINTS CAN HOPEFULLY GET THIS FOOL OFF AND RUNNING.

AS ALWAYS I THANK YOU MY FELLOW FOOL.

GALLS

----------------

GALLS.... Please stop yelling at the board!

NEM

Author: gyla2 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5734 of 19361
Subject: Re: My budgeting technique Date: 5/22/2001 9:14 PM
Recommendations: 0
Everything you wrote is my ultimate goal as far as budgetting is concerned. I am printing your post so that I can refer to it from time to time to help keep me focused. You put it all in writing so well. In the meantime I am reducing my debts for now.

Thanks.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement