Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CADeb Two stars, 250 posts Ticker Guide Supernova Olympia 1
Winner CAPS All Star SC1 Yellow Captain Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25247  
Subject: My Company is Getting Bought (again) Date: 3/13/2012 6:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I currently participate in my company's 401(k) plan which is administered by Fidelity. Over the years, it has done quite well for me and I am very pleased with the choices of funds offered.

As a side note, I have been using the Fidelity Champion Funds reports from MF Rule Your Retirement to give my portfolio the desired risk characteristics. Pleasantly, 9 of the 10 Funds used in the RYR portfolio are available in my company's 401(k) plan.

But all good things come to an end and my company is being acquired by a bigger fish who offers their own 401(k) plan run by Aon Hewitt. The latest information from the acquirers is that 'you as individuals are not allowed to roll over your 401(k) due to the Same Desk Rule, but we are looking to do a one-time transition into our 401(k)'.

Does this make sense? My strong preference is to leave my existing 401(k) with Fidelity as either closed until I reach retirement age or else roll it into a Fidelity IRA and manage it myself. I probably have another ten working years left so I don't mind building up a new 401(k) in an Aon Hewitt account but I am not liking the idea of all my 401(k) balance going over there. What can I expect to happen?

The only thing I have seen from Aon Hewitt is fancy brochures pushing their "Financial Engines" service to "help" me work on my own retirement saving strategy. The fancy brochures have a lot of bad examples so I guess some people need their help. Not me.

Thanks.
CADeb
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement