Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: aegl One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: Re: Roth IRA purchase Date: 7/29/1999 8:21 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My company provides a stock purchase plan. I am able to purchase stock every six months. This is a non-retirement account and has no tax shelter benefits. What are the tax consequences of selling some of this stock and immediately purchasing the same stock but within a Roth IRA ($2000 for me and $2000 for my spouse)?

Most employee stock purchase plans are setup to sell stock at a discount to employees. When you sell the stock you need to know several things to figure out the taxes:

1) The date on which you bought the stock.
2) The price that you paid.
3) The fair-market value of the stock on the day that you bought it. I think that this is usually calculated as the average of the low and high price for that day).
4) The date you sold.
5) The price got for selling.

The amount of the discount you got when you bought is treated as taxable income. Your company will probably ask you to tell them about the sale and throw this amount onto your W-2 so that you can owe lots of taxes on it. However, this will adjust your basis for calculating your capital gains tax.

Example: You buy 100 shares for $20 per share on 5/30/98. That day the FMV is $30.

You sell today for $60 per share with a commision of $20 on the whole sale.

You will owe income tax on 100*(30-20) = $1000 if your tax rate is 28% this will be $280.

Your capital gain is (100 * 60 - $20) - (100 * 30) ... i.e. your sale price (less comission) minus your cost basis (which is based on the FMV, not on what you paid so that you don't have to pay capital gains and income tax on the same money). In this example this comes to $2980 of gain. The holding period is over a year so the gain is taxed at longterm rates (at 20% this will be $596.

The ROTH IRA is a red herring. It doesn't matter what you do with the procedes the tax will be the same.

I have a question open on this board from earlier today as to whether there is a point at which you can hold the stock for long enough to avoid the income tax on the discount that you got.

Your state will probably want some money too, and undoubtably has different rules from the Feds.

-Tony
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement