UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TaysPop Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189943  
Subject: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 11:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Dear Folks,

Would like some help with what I'm sure is a common problem. I own a 3-4 year old Compaq Presario 4704. It has become increasingly slow lately and I think I have done about all I can do from the standpoint of deleting files or programs that I do not use. I am a self-taught user and know just enough to be dangerous...bear with me, please.

The computer has a Pentium processor (Pentium 1?), 16.0 MB RAM, and I checked the disk and it says it has/had 1.49GB of space with only 136 MB free. I expect that to be the main source of my problems.

What avenues or courses of action might I pursue to increase its speed? Whatever I do, I want it to be cost effective.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Scott
Print the post Back To Top
Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1266 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 11:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
... The computer has a Pentium processor (Pentium 1?), 16.0 MB RAM, and I checked the disk and it says it has/had 1.49GB of space with only 136 MB free. ...

My computer is probably similar to yours -- Pentium, 133mHz, originally 16MB RAM, 1.6GB hard drive, W95a.

I spent about $80 in 1998 to instal additional RAM to take it to 80 MB -- 64 MB would be fine.

If you were able to surf the web at acceptable speeds in the past, DO NOT upgrade to a new Netscape or Microsoft browser if you can avoid it, and try the following to get your machine back to its potential.

I have to keep my free HD space above 200MB or my browser really slows down. You should exit all applications and then check your \temp and \windows\temp directories for old stuff you can delete -- then empty your Recycle Bin. And check your browser's cache settings -- mine is 8192 kB. I think 4096 is the default, and this should be fine.

With all applications stopped -- no virus checker, etc., running -- and your screen saver turned off, do Start-Run scandisk. It may require some interaction in order to complete. I don't have it automatically correct errors, tell it to ignore "long directory names", and delete the fragments it reports.

After scandisk is complete, do Start-Run defrag. Run it even it says your hard drive is only "1%" fragmented. Then reboot and restore the screen saver.

Post back if any of this is confusing...

Hope this helps!
Ron

Author: im2dvus4u Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1267 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 12:13 PM
You are probably correct in assuming that the amount of free space available on your hard drive is slowing the system down. What applications are you running? And what are their system requirements? Do you delete all your temporary internet files when you go offline? If so, do you also use the "FIND" program to locate additional files created during that day and session? Delete your cookies, when you return to that site they'll be put back in again and if you don't visit that site anymore, why have the cookie? There are some other things you can do, but these are the simplest and easiest. in addition use the "find" program to locate various types of compressed files you may no longer need such as .jpg, .gif, .mov, .avi. If you want to keep them transfer them to floppy, if not delete them. Let me know if any of this helps, I have other suggestions which may require technical experience.

Author: TaysPop Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1269 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 12:53 PM
Ron,

Thanks for your help...

If you were able to surf the web at acceptable speeds in the past, DO NOT upgrade to a new Netscape or Microsoft browser if you can avoid it...

I just loaded Office 2000 (note: it was slow before, too) and I think it automatically upgraded the browser if I'm not mistaken. As far as my surfing speed goes, it was not real bad...only at times, and that is perhaps partially attributable to my ISP in addition to the various servers, right?

I have to keep my free HD space above 200MB...

This may pose a problem for I really don't know how many more files, etc. I can delete.

You should exit all applications and then check your \temp and \windows\temp directories for old stuff you can delete -- then empty your Recycle Bin. And check your browser's cache settings -- mine is 8192 kB. I think 4096 is the default, and this should be fine.

A number of ? here...first, the \temp and \windows\temp directories you mention...do I find these by using "Find"? Secondly, I do keep my recycle bin pretty much clean. Thirdly, how or where do I check my cache settings?

...do Start-Run scandisk. It may require some interaction in order to complete. I don't have it automatically correct errors, tell it to ignore "long directory names", and delete the fragments it reports.

I did scan-disk last night but I believe I had it auto correct errors. I don't recall being prompted or able to tell it to ignore "long directory names"...is this at the scandisk file? I did have it delete the fragments it found though.

After scandisk is complete, do Start-Run defrag. Run it even it says your hard drive is only "1%" fragmented. Then reboot and restore the screen saver.

I did the defrag this a.m. It did say it was 13%...I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet to see how much performance was improved (I'm at my office now). But I did not turn off the screen saver when I did this...does that mean anything?

Thanks again for all your help.

Regards,

Scott

Author: TaysPop Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1270 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 1:04 PM
Dear im2,

Thanks for your help. Here are my comments:

What applications are you running?

I use Office (now 2000, just loaded) and I surf the net heavily. But I very rarely have it going at the same time as I'm online. I don't know if this answers your question though.

Do you delete all your temporary internet files when you go offline? If so, do you also use the "FIND" program to locate additional files created during that day and session? Delete your cookies, when you return to that site they'll be put back in again and if you don't visit that site anymore, why have the cookie?

No, I simply log off. How do I delete the temporarys (at "Find"...see previous post)? How do I know what files were recently created by a session online...I'm always afraid of deleting the wrong thing? How do I delete the cookies...with "Find"?

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,

Scott

Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1271 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 1:23 PM
Scott,

I just loaded Office 2000 (note: it was slow before, too)...
You can check your browser version by going to:
http://www.fool.com/browserinfo.asp Sounds like you are probably on IE 5.0, unless you selected to retain a non-IE product as your default browser.

After I installed Office 97 I had to tinker with it to avoid a big slow down due to insufficient HD space. I have heard that Office 2000 can be a memory/HD hog but I am avoiding it until I get a faster PC so I have no direct knowledge of how it might affect a 3-yr. old PC.

I had to remove the Office taskbar (which had been along the RHS of my screen) to avoid slowing down my applications. With your 586 processor and with HD space at a premium, you may encounter similar problems.

A number of ? here...first, the \temp and \windows\temp directories you mention...do I find these by using "Find"?
Yes, or just use Windows Explorer and start at the "root", such as your C: drive. Use "detailed" view -- check the timestamps -- don't delete any "current" files.

Secondly, I do keep my recycle bin pretty much clean.
OK -- good!

Thirdly, how or where do I check my cache settings?
Depends on your browser. (But it's probably not a problem -- just something to be aware of when your free HD space is low.) Netscape: it's under Edit|Preferences, usually near the bottom, such as "Advanced | Cache". But it sounds like you're on IE. If you have an IE icon on your desktop, you can right-click on the IE icon -- then it should be something like Properties, General, Temporary Internet Files, Settings. I just reduced mine to 1% of my HD. It had been 3%. Too low can slow down browsing, a high number is only a problem if it gets your free space "too low".

BTW, I don't claim to be an expert -- I just wanted to share what has worked for me -- the defrag even helped my friends' fairly new Gateway PC, running W98. They weren't aware of defrag -- they're former, long-time Apple Macintosh users! (Sigh...)

Ron

Author: TaysPop Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1272 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 1:32 PM
Ron,

You're being very helpful. I just don't want to take my computer to the "shop" and get BSed by a service rep. Thats what prompted me to post my questions here.

A follow-up...If I was to upgrade to 64 MB RAM as you suggested, should I also opt to add a little memory? I would like to take a few steps...ones that would be effective for the most part...for a few hundred bucks. Otherwise, I would rather simply buy a new HD.

Thanks.

Regards,

Scott

Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1273 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 1:34 PM
I missed some points:

I did scan-disk last night but I believe I had it auto correct errors. I don't recall being prompted or able to tell it to ignore "long directory names"...is this at the scandisk file? I did have it delete the fragments it found though.
If you don't have deeply-nested directories, you shouldn't have any trouble. My "long names" are due to the way I have organized my saved emails under Netscape Messenger...

I did the defrag this a.m. It did say it was 13%...I haven't had the opportunity to use it yet to see how much performance was improved (I'm at my office now). But I did not turn off the screen saver when I did this...does that mean anything?
The pointer about turning off applications (actually, I stop/exit/disable everything in my systray except the time-of-day clock and the volume control) and turning off the screen saver is intended to speed up scandisk/defrag. Either of these tools have to restart if an application modifies the contents of your HD. It can take almost forever for either of these to complete if your screen saver is set for 1 to 4 minutes...

Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1274 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 1:41 PM
A follow-up...If I was to upgrade to 64 MB RAM as you suggested, should I also opt to add a little memory? I would like to take a few steps...ones that would be effective for the most part...for a few hundred bucks. Otherwise, I would rather simply buy a new HD.

I paid about $1800 for my HP PC three years ago, and $99 for a 4-year service contract, and I'm in about the same position you are. If I upgrade my PC, I would add a faster video card (I only have 1MB video memory and Netscape freezes a lot) and a larger HD, but I'm letting it limp along for now, with the possibility of buying a new PC early next year.

You'll need to look for good advice (such as a recent thread starting at http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?id=1350005000288000&sort=id ) on HD upgrades.

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1276 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 2:34 PM
The computer has a Pentium processor (Pentium 1?), 16.0 MB RAM, and I checked the disk and it says it has/had 1.49GB of space with only 136 MB free. I expect that to be the main source of my problems.

What avenues or courses of action might I pursue to increase its speed? Whatever I do, I want it to be cost effective.

Try the eleven tune-up tips that were published in the Computer Shopper.

http://www.zdnet.com/computershopper/stories/reviews/0,7171,2309162,00.html

One tip not mentioned in the other posts is the operating system that you are using. If you have not upgraded to Win98, my guess is that your computer is using Win95 with FAT16. You should be able to recover my memory by upgrading to Win98. A discussion about cluster size and its effect on memory can be found in this old article.

http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/cluster.htm

..IF

Author: lipsonl Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1277 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/8/1999 4:10 PM
One tip not mentioned in the other posts is the operating system that you are using. If you have not upgraded to Win98, my guess is that your computer is using Win95 with FAT16. You should be able to recover my memory by upgrading to Win98. A discussion about cluster size and its effect on memory can be found in this old article.

Converting to FAT32 under Win98 will only with your drive space, not your memory. Fat32 does allow smallers cluster sizes, which can give you about 28% more (according to microsoft) disk space.

If your disk is smaller than you won't see alot of improvement moving to FAT32. If you have a drive larger than 2GB, then FAT32 will give you more space.
In this size range you will be using a 4KB cluster size for FAT32 -vs- 32KB cluster sizes under FAT16.

Lenny

Author: bamboo7431 Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1285 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 12:30 PM
Go to Compaq Web site and find out how much extra memory you can stick into your Presario. Mine originally came with 32Mb (2 16Mb chips, one of which is fixed and cannot be removed/replaced). Due to Compaq squeezing everything into so little space (ever noticed how small Presarios are compared to other brands?) You can't really put everything you want into it. Anyway, the only memory upgrade I could do was to replace the other 16Mb chip with a 32Mb one, so now I am at 48Mb - works pretty well. I usually use Netscape with Java turned off (Java uses a lot of memory), so it's Ok.
Yes, and DO delete all temp (*.tmp) files - they can take enormous amount of space (I saw >200Mb once)

Author: im2dvus4u Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1286 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 12:51 PM
For the Indecisive Fool. Only Win95ver.a was incapable of addressing a FAT32, subsequent versions could do both.

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1289 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 1:32 PM
I understand that only Win95ver.a is incapapble of addressing FAT32 (if we ignore the people still using Win3.1). I was just guessing that the original poster may be using Win95ver.a since he posted that his computer was a Pentium 1? and had 16 MB of RAM.

..IF

Author: TaysPop Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1290 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 1:50 PM
Yes, and DO delete all temp (*.tmp) files - they can take enormous amount of space (I saw >200Mb once)

Okay, another stupid question...I went to delete the temp files last night. I say two temp file folders...one that said just temp, another that was a temp internet file.

#1 - I assume I want to delete both, correct?

#2 - When I went to do so, I got a message that asked me if I wanted to do that as it would effect the program (Note - I had attempted to delete the entire folder instead of the contents). Can I delete the folder in its entirety or do I need to delete each and every file within? There were quite a few. If I am to avoid deleting the folders and just "empty" the contents, how's a quick way to do that?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Scott

Author: phooley Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1291 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 2:06 PM
I went to delete the temp files last night. I say two temp file folders...one that said just temp, another that was a temp internet file.

#1 - I assume I want to delete both, correct?

Not exactly... see below.

#2 - When I went to do so, I got a message that asked me if I wanted to do that as it would effect the program (Note - I had attempted to delete the entire folder instead of the contents).

DO NOT DELETE THESE FOLDERS.

Can I delete the folder in its entirety or do I need to delete each and every file within? There were quite a few. If I am to avoid deleting the folders and just "empty" the contents, how's a quick way to do that?

If you look at the dates, you should be able to figure out which ones are old enough to delete. As long as you're sure you have no other applications open, you should just be able to do cntl-a and delete to take care of all of them. Or, sort the files by date, and use Windows Explorer's regular shift-click-click or cntl-click-click-click (etc.) to select the ones you want to get rid of.

As far as the "temp Internet files" are concerned, I would use IE/Properties to manage this. The only time I clear these files is when I'm getting ready to do a backup, to avoid wasting time backing up these cached items. (Netscape is a different story ... sometimes you have to delete its cache folder to clear up some problems. That's the only time that I know of when it's advisable to delete a "temp"-type folder.)

Hope the above is clear.

Ron

Author: shaiman Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1293 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 2:27 PM
Might want to upgrade the ram. Find out what kind it is first. SD or EDO ram. Because it is old, it probably is edo, but check anyway. Might want to upgrade the hard drive. Hard drives are cheap these days. Find out the processor speed as well. You can't upgrade to a pentium two or three because you'd have to change the motherboard as well. If that's what you really want to do, you might as well buy a new computer. First sit and think what do you use the computer for. You might not need something too powerful. Take the computer to a compusa or local computer store and see what they say. Tell them everything first then ask for prices. Good luck.

Author: TaysPop Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1294 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 2:36 PM
Dear Folks,

First of all, thanks to all who have offered help and suggestions to speed up my computer. One of the latest was to consider buying a new one. In that vein, the following details my needs:

I use my computer 95% on the 'net. Other than that, I do some work at home (word processing and spreadsheets), my daughter uses it for school and AOL Instant Messaging and thats about it. So, my primary concern is the investment research I do on the 'net (and, since you want me to be honest, I play cards on the 'net also...but don't tell my boss). I hope to soon change my ISP to a high-speed provider. With this in mind, what specs should I look for in a new system? I recently bought a new printer and my monitor is fine. Lastly, I would like it to last for as long as possible (dream on, right?).

Thanks again for your continued help and suggestions.

Regards,

Scott

Author: fmoldove Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1296 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 3:34 PM
Hi there!

Your space is OK. I used to work once on a PC
with only 30MB free memory left and everything
was OK (by the way I am a software engineer).

The best way to speed up your PC is to reinstall
the operating system. Usualy your files remains
intact, but as a precaution, do back them up
(at least the very important ones) for safety.

Many bad things can occur that make your PC
slower, and finding them is a hard job.
I remember that once my PC was very slow, and the
cause was that I had too many shortcuts on the
desktop.

By reinstalling the operating system you clean
all the potential problems causing the slow
response.

Regards,

Florin

Author: DennisJohnson Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1298 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 5:38 PM
<< I own a 3-4 year old Compaq Presario 4704. It has become increasingly slow lately and I think I have done about all I can do from the standpoint of deleting files or programs that I do not use. I am a self-taught user and know just enough to be dangerous...bear with me, please.

What avenues or courses of action might I pursue to increase ts speed? Whatever I do, I want it to be cost effective.>>

Your hard drive is too full. 1. Run the defrag program. To do this, go to find and type in defrag. Do a full defrag on hard drive. This might help a little. More RAM would help and is cheap. But to really solve your problem you need a larger hard drive. They are pretty cheap now. Hard Drives International is a good source, because they give you free tech support and a good set of instructions on how to install it yourself. Or you can save yourself a lot of #@!%^& and get your local dealer to install one for you. I would get at least a 4 GB or more so you have room to spare.

Good luck,

Dennis

Author: fmoldove Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1299 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/9/1999 6:16 PM
I think that the problem is not that the computer
is slow, but that it become slower and slower
over time. Therefore, no matter what upgrade is
done to it, it will end up also slower and slower
until the original problem was corrected.

Computers do have the nasty habit of becoming slower
and slower over time if used heavily and many
obscure causes are responsible for this.

The best cure is to reinstall the operating system.
This problem occured at my job on all the PC's and
after investigating this matter we decided that the
best cure is to reinstall the operating system every
year on each computer.

Author: StockStalker Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1302 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/10/1999 12:38 AM
Scott,

First of all, I'm sure that 3-4 years ago you paid a handsome price for that Compaq. Bear in mind that if you're happy with your monitor and don't want to replace that, today you can go out and buy a new computer in the $500-1000 range that will absolutely run circles around the old Compaq in every respect. My personal recommendations based on quality and outstanding customer service would be Dell or Gateway.

Your 1.5 GB hard drive is tiny by current standards, where 4-6 GB is the norm for low-priced computers. Also, you didn't mention what operating system you're using, but I'd guess you're still working on the detested Windows 3.1 platform. Do yourself a BIG favor and upgrade to Windows 98, Version 2 (It took Microsoft a few years, but they finally got Windows right) -- but first you'll have to buy a new machine that won't choke on it, because it's a biggie. Also, with your old Compaq you're probably operating with 8 or 16 MB of RAM. This just isn't enough for today's applications, and you'll want a minimum of 64 MB of RAM.

HOWEVER -- If you can't afford a new computer, there are some interim fixes that can perhaps speed up your existing machine.

1. Delete EVERYTHING on the hard drive that you don't need or use on a regular basis.

2. If you haven't already done so, run Scandisk and Defrag to clean up your hard drive! These are VERY important utilities that a lot of computer users don't even know about. They are effective "preventive medicine" to maintain the integrity and efficiency of your hard drive.

3. If you intent to keep your computer for much longer, take it to a reputable and trusted local computer shop for a thorough cleaning and possibly replacement of the CPU cooling fan. This will cost about $50, but it's something I do with all my computers about every 1-2 years because computers with their cooling fans tend to "eat" everything in the room. In my case this includes dust, residue from cigarette smoke, and cat hair.

Hope this helps.

Bob

Author: henry One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1304 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/10/1999 1:53 AM
Deleting *.tmp files safely

1/ Go to shut down windows but rather than "shutting down windows" select "restart under MS-DOS"

2/ At the C/> prompt enter the following commands:

- cd C:\windows\temp
- dir *.tmp (This lists all the *.tmp files)
- del *.tmp (This removes them)
- cd C:\ (This takes up to the main directory)
- dir *.tmp /s (This shows you if you have any other *.tmp files on your hard disk. To remove them you have enter each directory and delete them directory by directory)

3/ The above procedure prevents you deleting *.tmp files that are set up by windows as you work and which are necessary

4/ Alternatively buy a copy of uninstaller or clean sweep

Author: mwinter22 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1305 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/10/1999 2:52 AM
I would say you are all fools! It is not the computer
that is slow, it is the operating system. Go get either Caldera's or Redhats Linux and see what a true
multi-user/multi-processing system can do.

At work I have a 8 year old 486/16 running Redhat Linux. I do word processing, spread sheets and of course the net. Buy a little more memory and forget
about Bill's bloatware.

Author: Bsammut Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1308 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/10/1999 8:04 AM
Take some profits & buy a new computer...or....put as much additional ram as you can get into it.
bas

Author: Lester77515 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1309 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/10/1999 9:39 AM
TaysPop says:
I use my computer 95% on the 'net. Other than that, I do some work at home (word processing and spreadsheets), my daughter uses it for school and AOL Instant Messaging and thats about it. So, my primary concern is the investment research I do on the 'net (and, since you want me to be honest, I play cards on the 'net also...but don't tell my boss). I hope to soon change my ISP to a high-speed provider. With this in mind, what specs should I look for in a new system?

With that in mind, I don't think I would add mem. until I found a program I wanted that required more.

You may need to upgrade your modum, but I think that would be about all. Well, your video card, but someone else already said that.

Author: TaysPop Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1314 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/11/1999 2:22 PM
To everyone who offered assistance, suggestions and help to my request in this thread, I'd like to offer my sincere appreciation.

To those interested, I decided to solve the problem by purchasing a new system (less my monitor and printer which are fine). The more expensive solution but I'm sure the better in the short and long-term.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Scott

Author: DerektheDJ Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1316 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/11/1999 8:19 PM
<<To those interested, I decided to solve the problem by purchasing a new system (less my monitor and printer which are fine). The more expensive solution but I'm sure the better in the short and long-term.
>>

Hey Scott!

Just wanted to say that you don't need anything fancy if you're just surfing the net mostly. Any of those sub $1K computers will do you fine. Even the freebies (with the 3 yr rebate game) will do everything you want and more. Of course if you're looking at going to DSL or cable modems (highly recommended if you can get it), then you'd want to skip the 3 year contract.

It's only when you want the high-tech games, 3D shooters and the like, or graphic and sound design that you need serious hardware. If you're not doing any of this, save the bucks!

Derek

Author: apacherose Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1369 of 189943
Subject: Re: My Computer Is Too Slow Date: 9/25/1999 2:04 AM
After being unable to access our discount broker's new web site, I finally called Tradestar technical support & they informed me that Microsoft IE 5.0 was needed to access the newly designed site. Called AOL to find out the specifics & was referred to Keyword: 128 browser to download 5.0. Everything works like a charm now--TMF & all other sites come up almost instantly versus s..l..o..w access under the previous browser-which was IE 3.2(the AOL rep showed me this under add/remove programs--she was so helpful & informative). Approximately 3-4 months ago, we upgraded to a 56K modem and had additional RAM installed, with no noticeable improvement in accessing web sites...until downloading AOL IE 5.0!!

Hope this tidbit may be helpful to someone!
Donna

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement