Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
My condolences on your loss.

The IRA that your mother inherited from your father may require special handling to acheive the best tax treatment.

IRS Pub 590 IRAs
Inherited from spouse. If you inherit a traditional IRA from your deceased spouse, you can generally roll it over into another traditional IRA established for you or you can choose to treat the inherited IRA as your own. You can choose to treat it as your own by designating yourself as the account owner rather than the beneficiary.

The accoount title should be: IRA of mother's name, not mother's name, benefiary of the IRA of father's name.

Transfering title to the account delays the rate of RMDs during your mother's life and allows her eventual beneficiaries to take RMDs based on their own life expectancies and not hers.

To accomplish the transfer presumably would require an application for a new account with the IRA's custodian, including your mother's signature. I had a father with dementia in a nursing home: I know what a struggle it can be to obtain a signature. But, if it is at all possible, I think it should prove worth the effort, if all the IRA is not spent on nursing home fees,

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.