Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121219  
Subject: Re: Dependant w/1099-DIV Date: 2/20/2003 11:17 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
My daughter had her first job this year and she had taxes withheld. She also has dividend earnings. I'm sure she doesn't owe anything but I'm not sure what forms I have to fill out for her. She has 3700 in earnings, 24 in interest, Ordinary dividends (1099-DIV box 1) of 27, Total capital gains distributions (1099-DIV box 2a) of 183 and Qulaified 5-year gain (1099-Div box 2c) of 48. This is well below the 1500 limit but I have no idea what to do with boxes 2a and 2c.

Do we have to do a 1040 w/schedule D or can she do a 1040A? It looks like you can't do a 1040EZ if you have dividends.

You're right in that dividends and capital gains cannot be reported on a 1040-EZ. As has already been mentioned, I always recommend the 1040 because you don't have to waste any time deciding if you can use it or not, but your daughter can use the 1040A with this set of facts. Because all of her income will be wiped out by the standard deduction, the 5-year gain calculation doesn't matter.

Phil Marti
VITA Volunteer
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement